Has anyone taken progesterone injections to prevent pre-term labor?

I am 22 weeks along with our 2nd child. I had a vag ultrasound yesterday and the dr said I have a short cervix, and that combined with the fact that my son was 6 weeks early makes me high risk for another pre-term birth. He suggests weekly progesterone injections to try to prevent it. Of course, I am thinking it is worth it if it means this baby is closer to term and not in the hospital for a week like my son was. But I'm just a little concerned about it. You can't even get it at a regular pharmacy - you have to go to a compounding pharmacy which are pretty scarce here in OK. Just wondering if anyone is experiencing/has experienced the same thing?

owensmom17

Asked by owensmom17 at 9:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have a friend who's taking injections weekly to combat pre-term labor. They appear to be working for her.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I had to do progesterone injections on myself for about six weeks at the beginning of pregnancy. It's not bad once you get over the first one. There are mail-order pharmacies that can get it too. Also, Target pharmacy could get it for me the next day, even though they didn't regularly stock it. Try asking a large pharmacy like that.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• my friend did since 17 weeks now shes 35 and shes fine, she just gets bad heartburn
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2009