Atheists Face 'Forcible Baptisms' at Virginia Tech

Link here, and excerpt: 

Reverend Susan Sparks, Senior Pastor of Madison Avenue Baptist Church in New York City, was shocked to hear about this practice, commenting to The Huffington Post:

How outrageous! Surprise baptisms? You have to be kidding. I must have missed the section of the Gospels that deals with forcibly baptizing unbelievers with squirt guns and water balloons. To throw water on a person, then claim they are saved is like sprinkling a person with Dewars, then claiming they are Scottish. Just not sure that works...

What purpose would this kind of baptism even have? Don't most conservative forms of Christianity stress that it's not enough to just go through the motions, that you have to actively and consciously accept their dogma? Why do people think they have the right to decide someone's fate or choices for them? Why am I not surprised this happened here, in the Bible belt?

Thoughts?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 8:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2014 in Religion & Beliefs

• And THIS is what happens when people force their children to be Christians from birth, allowing them no option to learn for themselves.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2014

• go through the motions

care to discuss baptisms of the dead?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2014

• Every day I wake up and think, 'people really can't get any more stupid, right?' Then I read stuff like this...
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2014

• Ridiculous! What I want to know is how these people think throwing some water on a person and saying "you're saved" is a baptism? Pretty sure the person has to accept Jesus as their Lord and savior to be baptized. If they don't then you are just throwing water on them and it means nothing.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2014

• "I am pretty sure one would be more likely to not force their belief upon others if they were forced upon themselves."

Not if they don't know any better. If they are raised in cult-like beliefs all their lives, and taught from a young age to believe or go to hell, chances are they are going to continue that belief into adulthood. They simply don't know any better. There are some who come to their senses and realize that they were taught a messed up version of their religion, but many just don't know or care enough to find out if what they were taught was right.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2014

• ROFLOL You can not forcibly baptize anyone. You can throw water on them but that is more on the order of a cold shower than a religious experience.

That would be like going and slapping people with a religious belief with spaghetti and think that they will automatically become "free thinkers"
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2014

• This is where I'd make some smartass comment about idiotic Christian behaviors and them thinking they know what's best for everyone else, but I just don't have it in me right now.

I think it's just one more example of ridiculousness when it comes to religion.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2014

•  

or, the only thing stranger than an imaginary friend is an imaginary enemy :)

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2014

• I am pretty sure one would be more likely to not force their belief upon others if they were forced upon themselves.

I was pretty explicit in stating those who are forced and not allowed to learn about alternatives. They don't know any better. They're no different than children raised in North Korea and fed on propaganda from birth until death.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:16 AM on Mar. 21, 2014

• If you need me to I will fix the typos
    sigh
    score one for the illiterates.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2014