Has anybody ever checked themself to see if they were dialated . .

i was told how to do it and i wanted to know if anybody else has done it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, because when you do that you risk giving yourself an infection. It's just not safe. It's why doctors only start checking you when they feel they need to...every time you do it, you risk infection.
    Anonymous

• i havent that isnt smart to do it could cause infection and if you are barely dialated you could push thrw and make it worse
    Anonymous

• I do know how, but didn't want to know what was going on inside because it is pointless information. Knowing something (or nothing...) can only infiltrate my confidence. It doesn't matter what I am doing in there --it doesn't have anything to do with how-when I will labor.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• yes i have, it wasn't any help on when to expect labor, but i thought it was neat just to know what was going on. i did it in the bath, and don't push it or try to stick in your finger, i just got close enough to tell it was open a little.,,,,i thought it was neat
    Anonymous

• nope...but i did go over to my friend's house who happened to be an OB nurse and ask her if she had any rubber gloves...it took her a second to understand and she said "NO...I am not checking you" It was pretty funny...I was pretty desprete at that point...lol
    Carli26

Answer by Carli26 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• i thought about it, but didnt know how. i dont see how it would be different from sex though. (as far as an infection. i think you only risk infection after your water breaks. but i could be wrong
    xburtonchickx

Answer by xburtonchickx at 10:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My SO checked me a few times. I was just curious and so was he. If you wash your hands and use gloves it won't give you and increased risk to develop an infection.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't. It just doesn't seem safe to be checking it yourself, especially if you really have no clue what to 'feel' for. Not to mention the risk of infection
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 10:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• No, I never did, and I wouldn't. When I was in labour, before my water broke the nurses were hesitant to check me too often because of the risk of infection. Every time something goes up there it carries germs, even if your water is not broken the bacteria can sit in the area and cause an infection later. Or your water can be broken with baby's head blocking the waters from flooding out (it happened with my oldest son, the Dr tried to break my water and ended up scratching my son's head because his head was basically creating a plug with my cervix - he still has a scar you can see if his hair is cut short enough).

Plus dilation is not a good indicator of when labour will occur. There are women who go from no dilation to a baby in a few hours and women who walk around at 6 cm for weeks. It's just not worth the risk in my opinion.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I did it once while inserting EPO capsules, but didn't afterward to reduce the risk of getting an infection.
    Anonymous