Tips on getting him to sleep later?

DS is going to bed at his usual time (between 7:30-8), but the last couple weeks he has been waking up at least an hour earlier than normal (sometimes more). He used to wake up between 6-6:30, now he is up about 5:15. The other day it was 4:30!! He screams/cries until I get him, or more recently just gets out of his room (so happy he figured doors out). I sleep like crap (even when I take ambien) so 5 am is too early for me (shit, even 6 is too early for me).

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 6:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2014 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Blackout curtains?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2014

• Are you able to run his little butt off about 2 hours before bedtime?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2014

• I am looking for black out blinds but having issues finding them in the right dimensions. Ones that are wide enough are too short, ones that are long enough are way too wide.
    Feral, our problem right now is he is waking up between 4:30-5, he is a crab ass most of the morning. He passes out for 15-20 minutes long before nap time (usually an hour or 2 before nap time), then he doesn't want to take an actual nap. So then he is a crab ass in the afternoon too, then he starts passing out early at night and trying to wake up even earlier the next day. We are stuck in this shitty cycle. On top of it if I don't take ambien I don't fall asleep unit well after midnight and still wake up 3ish times. If I take it I can fall asleep sooner (around 11), but I still wake up 3-4 times, so I don't get near enough sleep and then I am being woken up at 4:30 am!
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2014

• Guess what? You sleep when your kid does. That is how it works. Change his bed time to later. Try black out curtains. Not much else you can do. Kids grow and they change their sleep times. From birth tell they leave the nest.

Answer by louise2 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2014

• Louise, I might agree with you if a) he was getting the recommended amount of sleep for his age (he isn't), b) I got more than 3-4 hours of sleep a night. He is crabby all day because he is not getting enough sleep. He has never gotten enough sleep but it has been much worse the last 2 weeks.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2014

• My kids went through phases like this. I remember distinctively, waking at 5 with my DS for a short period of time. I just got up with him, and eventually he got back to his normal times.
    It could be the time change thats throwing him off?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2014

• Japan doesn't do daylight savings time.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2014

• Like I told my DD. If the kid is not sleeping enough at night. Nap times are stopped. what is the recommended sleep?

Answer by louise2 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2014

• He is supposed to be getting at least 10 hours at night and 1-2 hours during the day. Right now he gets maybe 7-8 (that's when he doesn't wake up through the night) and I'm lucky if he sleeps 45 minutes during nap time. This is only recently. He used to sleep around 9 hours at night and at least an hour at nap time.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2014

• LOL, that is funny. No such thing a recommended hours of sleep. Back in the day. My girls went to bed at 9pm woke up at 6am or earlier everyday. Even though I made them take an hour nap . They never slept. Truthfully you need to just get over this recommend time thing. And get use to whatever time he wakes up. Can't force sleep on a person unless you start drugging him. That is not right either.  It sounds like he get at least 8 a night. 

Answer by louise2 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2014