HOW CAN I STOP MY 2 YR OLD DAUGHTER FROM DRINKING A BOTTLE?

MY DAUGHTER IS 2YRS OLD AND SHE STILL DRINKS A BOTTLE DURING HER NAP BED-TIME AND GOING OUT TO PLACES... SHE DRINKS SIPPY CUPS BUT NOT AS MUCH AS SHE SHOULD DRINK FROM A CUP.SHE IS SO ADDICTED TO HER BOTTLE EVERY TIME I TAKE IT FROM HER SHE CRIES FOR IT.. HELP MEEE PLEASE.!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 2??? Holy cow!!! You should have just took it away all together at 1!!! Yes, they will cry..That's just part of it..Give her a cup with a straw in it at night or a sippy...She'll be mad and it will be rough but you have to...
    Anonymous

• Just take it away...Deal with the crying and she will learn..
    Anonymous

• I agree, just take it away and give her the sippy.
    Anonymous

• Just take it away. Who is in charge. If you keep giving in then she will continue to manipulate you as she gets older. Get tough Momma.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:14 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I agree you should just take it from her. I know she may cry and cry for it, but heres a easier way to get her off of the bottle. Maybe by her a soft slippy cup and use it but ONLY during nap and bedtime for awhile, Tell her that babies have bottles and big girls use cups, if you get her a soft cup it will help you get her off her bottle because theres not much differnce in them really. After you get her off that, then start her going to nap and bed time with a harder cup.
    Anonymous

• Take it away!! It's reccomended bottles be taken away not long after a year old. Just take it away, you're the parent. When I took my DS off them he was 8 months old [and had figured out how to pop the nipple in the bottle and dump everything out!] and I threw them away one day when he was napping. I started putting all his drinks in sippy cups and he never saw another bottle again and has never asked for it. He is now 16 months old.
    Anonymous

• jsut tell her she's too big for a bottle and throw them all in the garbage. if she cris remind ehr she's too big and that they are gone. she'll get over it, I promise.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• A sippy cup IS a bottle, it just makes parents feel better cause it looks more adult, most dentist will tell you the same thing, they are just as damaging to the teeth. I always leave the nap and bed time bottles alone, I first take away all other bottles and they never travel with us. Once they are good thier I start to remove the other bottles. I do not believe in just taking them away. It is the only thing they know, it is comfort but if it is done slowly it doesn't have to be as "traumatic" some kids do fine when they are just takin away other kids have to be hadnled a little differently. It is not one size fits all.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• just throw them away after a day or two of hell she will get over it.

times3mom

Answer by times3mom at 11:34 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Of course she is going to cry for it ....you need to be a mother and take it away and deal with the crying.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 11:40 PM on Feb. 20, 2009