How should I put our 1 year old to bed?

I keep him with us until he falls asleep. My husband says we need to put him into bed at a dedicated time. I say he's to young for this and I feel horrible about doing this. Any thoughts?

pammers129

Asked by pammers129 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't let him sleep in bed with us. I hold him in our bed and give him his bottle and he falls a sleep while I'm holding him. Then I lay him down in his crib. But he usually falls a sleep in my arms. He is so small and he doesn't understand yet. I just don't want him to think I am abandening him.
    We have a routine at night. snack, bath, milk bed.
    he'd scream all night if I made him fall to sleep alone.
    pammers129

Answer by pammers129 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I have a 14 month old son and he is my first, so I speak from limited experience. I agree with your husband. He needs a routine, especially at night. I think you will regret it later if you don't start. When my son was younger, he didn't have a specific time that he went to bed. This is for a ton of reasons that I won't bore you with. But, he is pretty much on schedule now for bedtime, unless we're traveling, at grandma's/grandpa's, things like that. I go into his room around 7 p.m. and get it ready (nightlight, music) and my husband brings him in. I kiss him good night and then they stay in the room for just about a minute. Then he puts him to bed when he is still awake. He learned to put himself to sleep by us doing this. Most nights, he is just fine. He may fuss for a while if he is sick. Not sure if this is the type of answer that you were looking for, but your son is definitely not too young for routine like this.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 9:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I put mine in his crib with a nightlight and the fisher price aquarium thing that has music and lights. Then I propped the door open a bit and waited it out. He'd cry for 20 minutes and then finally he quit and would just go to sleep playing with the aquarium. It's hard but if you want him to adjust you kind of have to tough it out.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• We started a complete routine for bedtime at 4 mos. She knows what to expect when. We do dinner bathe, lotion, milk and then bed. Your LO is not to young to follow a routine. She do what feels natural and stick to it. Putting him to bed in his bed is going to be rough for a few nights, but if you stick with it it will get easier.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I've never had a bedtime routine. All of my kids have fallen asleep with me when they were this age. I don't have any sleep issues out of any of them. If your baby needs a routine and isn't getting enough sleep or isn't hapy then make one. If not, leave it how it is. Nothing bad will come of it.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I have to agree with your husband. Co-sleeping only makes it harder for your child develop independence. Put your child to sleep in his crib awake & allow him to sooth himself. This is going to be extremely difficult so make sure you trust your husband & get his support. If you have to check in on him make sure it is after 20 mins. of crying & that point go check in to make sure the diaper is dry, hes not cold or to hot and so on.....Don't pick him up just rub his back for a very short time. The importance is that he learns to sooth himself. Each night it will get easier.

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 10:25 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I agree with your husband. My DS has been on a bedtime schedule since he was 3 months old. He is 16 months old now. Bath, story time, kisses and hugs, bedtime. He goes [and has gone] to bed at 8 every night. Occasionally he'll be tired around 7:30 and I'll put him down then but never before that. Special occasions like holidays and birthdays he gets to stay up later than usual, but not later than nine. He never has a problem going to bed and even sleeps in a real bed now.
    Anonymous

• I have put my daughter to bed on her own sense she was 4 months old .I bath her , masage her , give her a soy milk cup ,and read a story to her te hen I put her in her crib and turn on her music say i love you and close the door she will be a sleep in 5-10 min with no problem all is done by 7:30 {it very healthy to get them to sleep on their own for you and your child}.

times3mom

Answer by times3mom at 11:29 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Well I think it's good for him to fall asleep on his own in his own crib. I don't necessarily think he needs a "set" time to do that though. Some children NEED routines and need to follow strict schedules ...my daughter thankfully is not like that ..our life is pretty crazy so some nights she goes to bed at 8pm and others at 10pm, but she does go to bed on her own in her crib. If you want to try to get him to fall asleep in his crib then I would start a schedule and follow that for a while...also be consistent! Easier said than done! g'luck xoxo
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 11:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I have a 22 mth old little boy, at that age he went to bed at 7:00-7:30 every night from the time he came home, schedules are very important, now that he is older he goes to bed at 8-8:15 everynight,
    I just get him ready for bed like you get babys/kids ready for bed, read a book & put him in his bed, tuck him in, tell him its nite nite time, & he goes to sleep. He knows when bedtime is, I think its because it is usually always at the sametime,
    tab9344

Answer by tab9344 at 1:44 AM on Feb. 21, 2009