bottled breast milk

if i pump and feed my baby but she doesnt drink it all...can the rest be put in the fridge for later use or is it no good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is not recommended. If you want to save it give her a little at a time.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I found this at a site for you because I wasn't too sure on how long you can keep it in the fridge and all that. The following are some general breast milk storage guidelines: * At room temperature (less than 77°F) for 4 to 8 hours * At the back of a refrigerator for 3 to 8 days * At the back of a freezer for up to 3 months Also here's the site if you have other questions about the milk and how to thaw it out from the freezer and such.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/pregnancy/birth/828.html

Rosalie29

Answer by Rosalie29 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't use it. You should store your breast milk in containers of no more than 4-6 oz in a container. That way you reduce wasting what you don't use. I would only put a few ounces in a bottle at a time and refill as needed rather than trying to re-use what was left in the bottle later. Frozen breastmilk should not be thawed and then re-thawed for later use. I don't think you're supposed to take refrigerated breastmilk, let it warm and then re-refrigerate it either.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:53 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I agree with what NovemberLove said. I mis-read the question.
    Rosalie29

Answer by Rosalie29 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I actually asked our pedi a question about formula earlier this week about using if after she started drinking and then put it in the fridge. She said that formula should be disposed of after an hour b/c of bacterial growth, and at her house they get rid of breast milk after an hour as well for that same reason. I asked b/c I was concerned about wasting money and she informed me that breastmilk is just as expensive.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Well you "shouldn't" ...but I did sometimes depending on how much was left
    I would put it in the fridge right away and if he didn't finish it the next feeding I dumped it out.
    Try to make bottles you know your baby can finish then there isn't as much waste
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:26 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• No, you don't want to put it back in the fridge. You're just asking for bacteria growth, because of what was in the baby's mouth.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:05 AM on Feb. 23, 2009