Super Exploding Diapers! Help!

My son is 12 weeks old and breastfed. Somehow, everytime he has a bowel movement, it blasts right out of the sides of his diaper and sometimes even up the back! We've tried 4 different brands (three name brand, one generic), two different sizes (he's between 14 and 15 lbs so some stage ones fit and stage twos fit) as well as the half sizes. I put his diapers on, my mom has and my DH has. No matter what diaper we use or who puts it on (I'm sure at least one of us does it right lol), it just jets right out of the side of his diapers and all over himself. Ahhh! What am I doing wrong?

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 9:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried getting rubber pants that you would put over a cloth diaper. We have to use those at night. My DD sleeps 12 hours and will leak out of her diaper. They are way cheaper then having to wash a ton of extra laundry. It is working well for us. I found them at Babies r us for 10$ for a 3 pack. This may help save your sanity and some of his clothes from his super pooping explosions.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I don't think you are doing anything wrong. He sounds like a Super Pooper!
    mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 9:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I was afraid of that. We were at the airport the other day and in the four hours waiting for the plane he went through three outfits. Good thing he stopped pooping for a while after that or he would have been out of luck. I was all out of outfits!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• you might want to try a different brand of diapers or size. like my DD pees and poops through LUVS no matter what but huggies can hold her in.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 9:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• That is funny. My daughter was constipated one time when she was a couple months old. The doc gave me a suppository for her. I had her diaper off and her legs drawn up to her chest to help out. Well she shot poop for at least 2 feet. It was the funniest nastiest thing I ever saw. She also got title of Super Pooper.

mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 9:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I feel you. My daughter is breastfed too. Goes out the sides & all that good stuff. I just take her in the bathroom out of her clothes & into her tub. Sometimes she won't go for a couple of days then I know i am in trouble at some point cause she'll explode too.
    ryansmommy31207

Answer by ryansmommy31207 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• AHHhh . . . the shitsplosions lololol!! Dd used to have those, but we went up a size in diapers. Good luck!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• All of my boys could blow through a diaper like nobody's business! I just ignore the size recommendations on the box and went with the smallest that could hold all the pooh. It sounds like maybe you should move him up to a bigger size.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:19 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My boy has the "shitsplosions" too (lmao BridgetC140). He has had them BAD lately too... Try feeding him extra starches or a little banana... but I know w/ my son its a phase he just goes through every once in a while for a week straight he'll just superpoop everywhere! To the point where its dripping out by his feet. (TMI but LOL) Oh man, they sure are gross but they do make me laugh!
    jessica1219

Answer by jessica1219 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• When they are that little and you are BFing it gets really runny....it will firm up a little when you get him on solids...my DD still has explosions once in a while....thats part of the fun of mommyhood!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2009