She is 7 months old n breastfed, would it be possible to get her to sleep through the night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried a little cereal before bed? Can't remember if it is rice or oatmeal you start out with. Maybe she is not getting full enough.
    Anonymous

• Yes it is okay to try to get her to sleep through the night. You just have to cut out the middle of the night nursing session. If she truly is hungry then I wouldn't. If she is just using you as a pacifier to soother herself back to sleep then it is okay to drop that feeding.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• So how do I cut out the night feeding?
    Anonymous

• To the first anon response: it's rice cereal
    To the OP: I agree with the first reply. Try some rice cereal.
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Sometimes babies cant take rice, my son couldnt he started out with oatmeal. but its ok to try both and see which works. feed her cereal before bed and a pacifier. my dr said babies stop waking up around 4 months so i dont know my son did. he just stopped all the sudden. im sure your dr has some ideas. good luck :)
    chevymom421

Answer by chevymom421 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You don't cut out the night feeding, they quit the night feeding when they are ready. My son was about 9-10 months old before he was ready.
    Anonymous

• 7 months is still AWFULLY young. And keep in mind that the AAP states that sleeping through the night is 5 hours, lol.

However, you will greatly benefit from The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elisabeth Pantley (boy, I feel like I should be getting paid for endorsement lately, lol). You can find this book used for about $10 on amazon shipped.

It'll give you some really great insight and some great tools that will help you to reduce or even eliminate night time nursing without causing distress on that precious baby.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Depsite the common wisdom, it doesn't matter how or what a baby is fed. I know several moms who breastfed and their babies slept through the night by 4 months old. I know others who didn't have their baby sleep all night until nearly a year. The same is true of the moms I know who formula fed - some babies slept all night early, some didn't. And adding cereal to the bottle or a late meal didn't help either.

Babies sleep all night when they are ready and when any "wake up and eat even though I don't need it" habits have been eliminated.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:17 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• As someone already mentioned...sleeping through the night is a mere five hours. Don't expect more than that in year one...even if you night wean. (Those dipes can still get dirtied! **smile**)

You can TRY cereal before bed...b ut don't be surprised to find baby wakes more. We did a survey on the breastfeeding moms group about before bed cereal, and a landslide majority had discovered that it made their babies wake more rather than less. Probably due to rising and falling blood sugar levels.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:56 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My son is 10 months and he sleep through the night I take him a nice warm bath then breast feed him every night at the same time he wakes up to eat then back to sleep but he is awake for good around 6a.m he is a good baby also dont let her nap start after 3 p.m because she will be up all night
    Rileymother

Answer by Rileymother at 2:02 AM on Feb. 21, 2009