How does a corporation exercise religion?

One of the many questions brought up by the SCOTUS yesterday.  Hobby Lobby's attorney dodged it and couldn't give a straight answer.

Full transcript can be read here:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/13-354_5436.pdf

Note that's a pdf, so select open in browser or it will download the transcript to your computer.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2014 in Politics & Current Events

• I have only gotten to page 29 so far. Interesting read.
    Clement doesn't seem to be offering very sound case studies.
    And the money arguments are making me laugh.

I like the cases comparing Hobby Lobby to Amish education and Church of Lukumi Babalu Aye.
    Hobby Lobby is a craft store. I don't know that anyone (until this all blew up) really thought of them along the same lines as say a Craft Store or Religious Bookstore.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2014

• Sotomayor:

(Page 31) Your own client changed its policy,
    25 and that's why it's not grandfathered.

(Page 32) 1  And he changed it to drop contraceptives it
    2 was covering.

Whoa! Did they really? Can you help me find more information on this?
    It would seem this blows the whole case out of the water.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:33 AM on Mar. 26, 2014

• WHY does a corporation need to exercise religion is my question. INdividuals can exercise it however they wish, whenever they wish as long as it doesn't impose upon others. But a corporation, as a whole? Why this incessant need to push it up everyones' ass?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2014

• This is a more recent article about HL's emergency contraception coverage.  They changed the coverage, THEN signed the lawsuit, because the change is the only reason they're subject to this law at all.

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Mar. 26, 2014

•  Apparently they had no crisis of faith for all the years it was covered, but having it covered again will cause one

eye rolling

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:9rLcnjtqz5sJ:online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304026304579451342576281698+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Pretty sure there was a question about it here back when that first came to light, too, but it was a long time ago last year.

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Mar. 26, 2014

• Thanks for the link
    Eye Opening.

I kind of thought the section pictured in the article was indicative of "my" area, KWIM. I don't even think twice when I see it. Kind of thought it was a supply and demand issue.

But to read How they became involved in the lawsuit. Kind of disgusting...
    And I can't bump you again :(
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2014

• Went to the article you mentioned OP, I have been in HL a few times here, and I never seen that many crosses on one wall. They all must have been really busy beavers the night before for that photo op..
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:32 AM on Mar. 27, 2014

• I have been in HL a few times here, and I never seen that many crosses on one wall

The owner lives in Oklahoma, I don't doubt the cross and religious paraphernalia sections are much bigger down there than they are up here.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Mar. 27, 2014