Now what? mistake made adult content

we bought a new cat box, w/ a bigger opening for our increasingly elderly house-cat. Daughter asked to take it to the mudroom where her dad would eventually set it up. I said sure just don't play with it or stand on it (cheap thin plastic) and she sarcastically said "or poop in it"? and I responded in what I thought was a silly way of "oh no that's fine baby kitty poop your heart out!" and we laughed. Daddy brought case of litter in from garage and.... she had gone in the box. (my kid not my cat) Her immediate reaction was giggles and "ha ha you didn't think I'd do it!!!" but after seeing my horrified face and dad say some curse words she has cried like crazy and we've yet to make eye contact.

she's a 2nd grader who competes in advanced gymnastics and has seen a therapist once for IQ testing to get into a magnet school. She loves One Direction and Hello Kitty and makes good grades and has lots of friends. She isn't "weird" or crazy she just made this one awful AWFUL decision. No idea if we should punish. Husband refuses to discuss it. No deaths in family recently, drop in grades, we didn't move, no new baby (she has a sister who is 12 and they're quite close) nothing "traumatic"... been looking forward to spring break and some 4H events upcoming this is an isolated incident just really, gross and awful

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2014 in Kids' Health

• she just made this one awful AWFUL decision.

You mean she did exactly as she was told, "oh no that's fine baby kitty poop your heart out!"

HaHa, bet Momma will check that sarcasm at the door when dealing with kiddoe :)

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2014

• Maybe just having her clean it up would have been enough.
    She made a mistake and probably already regrets doing it.
    abecee

Answer by abecee at 5:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2014

• You said she could. She did.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2014

• I agree with the others, she just took you up on your joke.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2014

• Have her clean it. That's the problem when using sarcasm with young kids. While it is a bit gross, it's not really awful. I also don't get what any of the other stuff you said has to do with anything. She made a joke about popping in it, you said it was fine, she pooped in it. The punishment should be cleaning it. I don't know why your husband refuses to talk about it. You guys are seriously overreacting about this.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 6:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2014

• I'd shit in the kitty box too if someone egged me on enough. It hardly makes her abnormal or on the path to self destruction and world domination.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2014

• Kids that age don't really get sarcasm. It kind of goes over their head and they hear the literal words, which in this case was permission to poop in the litter box, and take it at face value.

I'd make her clean it up and be careful with the sarcasm from this point on.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2014

• Yeah, she pushed it too far but like some of these gals said, even thought she's bright, she made an error in judgement. I'd probably sit her down and just ask, "What made you poop in the cat box? I'm trying to understand why you actually did it?" And whatever her answer is, is probably pretty simple and the truth. I'd drop it and say, "from now on, the cat box is for the cat." Let it go.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2014

• drop the whole thing
    but be sure to bring it up on rehearsal dinner night
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2014

• You told her she could poop in the litter box and she did. Why is terrible? How can you punish her for doing something you told her she could do. Calm down!

Answer by louise2 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2014