Who has the right to define Justice, and is it acceptable for one person to make a judgement call and act upon it - even if that call is life or death?

I recently finished reading the Manga, Death Note, and found myself to ponder this idea. If somebody could make the decision to kill criminals at will - would that be ok? I want to know what others think. While I am not yet a mother, nor am I expecting - I think about this in terms of my family. We are all law abiding, and do not cause other people issues and I feel if the people that did just weren't here - would many of our societal problems go away?

I lean towards agreeing with the manga, and I want to see what others think

Sakujo! ~ Mikami Teru's catch-phrase in the manga.

- Misa Amane

misa_amane

Asked by misa_amane at 10:26 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think justice is a social contract agreed upon by the people. Just as we the people give power to our government to govern over us, we too give power to our justice system. In some situations on person is called upon to make those judgement calls, police officers, doctors and other civil servants. their actions are often then brought to review by their peers and superiors. Our society is set up in such a way that though one person may make a decision in a life or death moment, s/he must always answer for his/her actions. I believe that this is as close to just as we can get, without being divine.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:35 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• No. Who are we to say that the life of a criminal is worth less than the lives of the rest of us? Yes, of course the world would be a better place if everyone just followed the laws but it just doesnt work like that. Should we also kill all the rude people? the dumb people? the ugly? people with disabilities? I mean where would that line be drawn? I say leave it alone and let God sort them out.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It depends on the crime doesn't it? I wouldn't want a pedophile walking around with access to my or anyone elce's kids. A convicted killer can kill without remorse but here we are paying our taxes to keep him locked up for life and he probably lives better and has access to more services than the average law abiding citizan. So I think if the crime is serious enough like murder or child abuse then yes they should be treated to the same treatment that they gave thier victims or even the death penalty.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I'm not sure how I feel about the death penalty. But I do NOT like my tax dollars paying to care for them like BooBear said - living better than law abiding citizens. It's prison, not a frickin' country club!
    patobello

Answer by patobello at 10:49 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Intentional killings... your life should be taken. Genesis 9:6 "Whoever sheds the blood of man by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God mad man."

Accidental deaths... your life should be spared, having other forms of punishments or forgiveness.

naturescape

Answer by naturescape at 12:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2009