1 month old with cold...

My one month old had come down with the cool,the whole family of five has it, so I guess I really couldn't prevent it as much as I tried. She has a pretty bad cough and breathing sounds really raspy. What can I do to make her feel more comfortable? I feel so bad for her, especially when hearing her breath. She had a DR appt. Wed. that day the DR said her lungs sound good. She has gotten worse since then. Ideas.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 10:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son had the same thing at 1 month and his dr said the same thing! get her some saline drops(little noses is a good one) and make sure you clean it out with the bulb a little later. you cant give her anything until she is older, but if she has diarrhea than my dr suggested giving my son pedilyte to help him not dehydrate, since its common when they have colds. hopefully this will help! Good Luck and i hope she gets to feeling better
    chevymom421

Answer by chevymom421 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If shes worse take her back. My son has also been sick was seen on sunday and then wed i took him back. He had a bad cough that wouldnt go away! He had xrays and has broncitius. They gav him a breathing treatment that helped. Hes now on zpack! Maybe try turning the shower on as a humidifer and see if it helps/ Poor baby... My son didnt have fever either but was miserable from cough. Maybe call ur doct...
    Anonymous

• My daughter had a bad cough and a cold a month or so ago. My doctor told me to get her the Vicks Vaporizer. It didn't help right away, but her cough went away after about a week or so. She was a little older than 1 month though, so I might call the doctor and ask if they think its okay for your baby to have the Vicks Vaporizer.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I would call your Dr and let him know that she has gotten worse. Until then, the saline drops that chevymom421 suggested would probably help.
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You can take her into a steamy room. Turn your shower on as hot as it goes and close the door. Let it get all steamy and then bring your DD in there. Sit for 10-15 minutes. The steam will help the congestion. But be warned: You might have to deal with a Booger Fountain from her nose after the steam! But be careful and listen for any wheezing and get her to the doc or ER if she gets worse. You have to watch out for RSV. Good luck!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You can use a cool mist vaporizer in her room. You don't need to add any Vick's. The vaporizer will help loosen the phlem and help it from settling in the back of her throat. I would also prop up the end of her crib mattress. You can put a couple of pillows under the top of the mattress, roll up a towel and put it under her bottom to keep her up (so she doesn't end up sinking to the bottom of the bed. When my DD was sick and in the hospital, this is what they did for her. I would also contact the Dr. and let them know that she is worse. RSV is going around and is terrible for little ones (this is the common cold for us, but can be VERY harmful for babies).
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My baby has the same thing and we went to the doctor today. He just turned 2 months. He gave us antibiotics in case he gets worse (hope not). He told us to use a vaporizer or humidifier every night by his crib (so he can breathe better since he gets congested a lot). He also told us to use a nebulizer (to clear out his lungs). The doctor told us he has bronchitis acute.
    Anonymous

• I would take her back in. A "cold" if that is what it is... could easily be RSV or Influenza... is MUCH worse for a young baby because of such a tiny airway than an older child or an adult. They might not be able to give her anything like an antibiotic if they think it's a virus, but they might want to look at her and make sure she is breathing ok. Possibly start her on breathing treatments.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:21 AM on Feb. 21, 2009