I have a baby but i want to go to college

I am a 19 year old single mother of 1. i got pregnant while using protection. i graduated high school about a year and a half ago . i want to got to college and live on campus with my 8 month old..i want to become a teacher for special ed children and young adults. I can not stay where i am currently livng long so a cummnity college is out of the question .if you know about any programs or for single mother or if you may have any helpful idea..please comment ..I am open to anything ..thank you for your time

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• im also a single parent and a full time student. go to www.fafsa.org and fill out the info. more than likely you can get federal grants to pay for all of your school. your local DHS will probably cover the cost of child care while youre in class. if you have any questions you can pm me. good luck!
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Is staying on a campus an option? I haven't heard of that. I pride you on wanting to get your education with a child. I wish you all the luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• im going to junior college :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• sorry, its fafsa.com not .org
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Some universities offer family housing where you can have a child living with you. You just need to research the universities that are near you. I wish you luck! An education is something that no one can ever take away from you. It is not the easiest to do with kids but it can be done.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I was going to say the same thing Chandra said. I'm a single mom going to school and it gets paid for by grants by filling out that form. Good Luck.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 11:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• This is something that I know a little bit about.... I just got a college degree...after being a singe parent working 2 jobs for the last 5 1/2 years!!!!
    Thankfully- WE are lucky!!!!! For starters I would look into Tech and Online schools....I did both! Tech schools are great because it allows you to take your generals and even get a degree (2yr)if that is what you are looking for!
    Second- Online schools like the University of Phoenix Online allow you to continue your education all the way up to Masters (for some programs)!
    As a parent you face more challenges than the "norm" college student. While there may/may not be housing available, there are a lot of grants available...Research what is available...go to your local college and meet with a counselor and learn about what is available to you!
    alexandersmom03

Answer by alexandersmom03 at 3:42 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• i want to go back to finish my college degree, too, and it is a worthy endeavor! i wish i had some advice to give, but it sounds like you've got a lot of other single moms here who know more than me, so listen to them, and dream big!
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 4:18 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• a lot of schools offer help for students with circumstances similar to yours, do some research.
    and btw, you might want to take a brush-up spelling class.... it's c-o-m-m-u-n-i-t-y college
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Feb. 21, 2009