Mental Health and the Internet

I'm pretty sure we've discussed this in the past, but it's worth discussing again... obviously.

Is there anything that internet communities can do to prevent obviously unstable people from disrupting the entire forum? Aside from ignoring the obvious trolls, which may or may not work, how should such individuals be handled?

anime_mom619

Asked by anime_mom619 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2014 in Politics & Current Events

• OMFG.... I just snarfed my coffee when I read the title of this post!!

Unstable infiltration... it's like a fungus... hard to cure ;o(
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 2:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2014

• I was just wondering if there was an ad somewhere asking people to apply to be a resident CM loony or something.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2014

• The one thing many unstable people want is an audience... and the internet gives them that. They can rant and rave, and if just one person responds, even with a negative, they are justified in their actions... The thing most people forget is that admonishing them, or insulting them, does not have the same effect as it does with other people... they don't process it the same. I think a vast majority of trolls are naricisstic, and if so, they are incapable of seeing themselves as less than perfect... In fact, they will fight against it so correcting them just fuels their rants.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2014

• I don't think so. I mean they can ban all they want, but unless they ban IP addresses, it won't keep them away. The problem is, many of the mentally unstable people take the internet because they can't function normally in society.
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 3:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2014

• Not much we can do but , sigh and move on.

Answer by louise2 at 4:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2014

• :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 4:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2014

• The internet is an awesome tool for all of the narcissistic, borderline, psychopaths out there. Its a breeding ground for the insane unfortunately.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2014

• fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2014

• Not really. The administrators can keep watch and reprimand or ban individuals as the need arises but individuals can either play with them or ignore them.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2014

• With kindness and understanding?
    abecee

Answer by abecee at 8:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2014