Over scheduling kids during the summer.

I try to find a variety of activities for the kids during the summer. How much free time do your kids have?

abecee

Asked by abecee at 6:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2014 in Tweens (9-12)

• We spend 2 weeks at the beach, they have a week of overnight camp and a week of vacation bible school at our church. Other than that it's just the pool everyday!

Answer by missanc at 9:12 AM on Apr. 8, 2014

• Too much because it was too hot to even go outside for a few minutes. This year we are going to explore our new area inside and out. The kids in CT will still be in school when we get there. Hopefully they make a few acquaintances before the school year starts.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2014

• My son goes to camp in the summer. Than I take some time off for daytrips or vacation and also visits to family.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2014

• We spend a lot of time with family. We a fortunate to live in a place that people flock to in the summer, so there is always something fun going on.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2014

• They typically have tons of unstructured time. Last year we had our younger two in a preschool summer camp for one week. They had a good time and were interested in doing it again. But they started school this year and at this point they are looking forward to summer and to getting to be HOME every day! So I am planning to keep their summer totally open, unscheduled.
    My older child has done a variety of camps but likely will participate again in a music/drama camp that is a month-long commitment, so that might limit her options. She's also interested in the camps our local animal shelter runs, and a local theater camp, but some of these overlap with the music camp so we will have to see what she prioritizes.
    Usually it averages out to her being busy (scheduled) during the month of July, with the afternoons still open.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2014

• Overscheduling child means over scheduling my self. Not happening
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2014

• Summer is as much about a break for me as it is for the kids. We are way too busy during the school year. I like to be lazy all summer. We spend a lot of time at the pool, and that's about as active as I want to be.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2014

• Mine have lots of free time in the summer. We start by checking out the local play centre to see if there's anything they fancy going on and then book those days. I try to give them two days a week at this place. One is going away for 4 days on a via ferrata trip (she's very much into climbing). The rest of the time they can have friends over or go to friends. We live way out in the country, have our own pool and there are lots of things to do and discover.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 3:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2014

• we camp for three weeks, have swimming lessons for 3 weeks which also involves a few extra hours hanging out at the pond (free time to play in the water & beach), the rest is unstructured time where they play at home or can make plans with friends.... we will sometimes do stuff as a family on the weekends when DH is home.
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 6:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2014

• They've already been looking at some of the options for this summer. I think they will have to narrow it down a bit.
    abecee

Comment by abecee (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2014