how do i....

tell if i'm really in labor? my contractions started at 20 - 25 minute intervals and now they're at 10-12 minutes but the pain isn't getting much worse??

pringles_697

Asked by pringles_697 at 11:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• lol you'll know if your in labor. baxton hicks arent as strong as real ones. (if you've had them before now) if they get 5 min apart you need to go to dr
    chevymom421

Answer by chevymom421 at 11:32 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If they keep working at getting closer and more intense, it is possible.
    Are you within a safe period to deliver?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:32 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Oh trust me, you will know when you're in labor! lol

Don't look at the clock until they get closer together (about every 5 mins or so). Just let your body do what it does. You may do this for several days and that is completely normal.
    Anonymous

• even if they don't get worse? i have had a few a LOT worse than these but i don't know if i should call the doctor if they get closer because they might be the braxton hicks.
    i'm due on monday.
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Mine started out like menstrual cramps that kept getting worse... then when I got into the harder labor it was an intense pain I felt not only in my lower belly but in my vagina also (cervix dilating) There won't be a question once the harder labor starts.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Also, if you find blood on your underwear (the bloody show) it means you're definitely in labor and should get to the hospital (my bloody show, I thought was a lot of blood.. the nurse said that's normal though)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:40 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I went through 14 hours of labor that wasn't painful and was about every 3 mins apart. It wasn't time for the baby and they went away. I knew it was "the moment" yet because I could talk, laugh, walk, and do normal things through the contractions.

Rule of thumb: if you're really in labor you have to stop what you are doing to focus on the contractions. And if you are doing a hospital birth, that is about the time you might want to start getting ready to head to the hospital.
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 11:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Gah stupid typos.. I knew it WASN'T "the moment" :)

Follow the cues of your body, not just the time on the clock.
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 11:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• alinker... bloody show does not mean you're in labor. any women have bloody show weeks before labor.
    Anonymous

• Many*
    Anonymous