Wake a baby to change out of damp clothing?

Please no judgements. I'm a new mom and I have a dilemma.

My 8 month old ddjust had a late-night bottle and is now fast asleep. As I was laying her in her crib, I noticed that her swaddle blanket was damp!

Now, my sense of logic says DUH! Wake her up and change her clothes! But, the problem is: she is in footed pj's, so I would have to completely undress her, which would make her WIDE awake. She would take at least an hour to fall asleep again.

Should I leave her be until she wakes up again (which will be anywhere between 2am and 6am), or do I wake her and change her NOW, even if it means interrupting her sleep?

Again, please no judgments. I just need to know what YOU would do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A small itty bitty spot? No. Large spot that makes her really wet? Yeah.
    Anonymous

• I would just b/c i wuoldn't want her to catchcold....but that's tough b/c you don't want her to wake up. I would tho.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I would start changing her and if she wakes up! At least she will be dry and you can rock her back to sleep. I couldnt sleep well knowing my baby is uncomf. Plus she may get cold and wake up anyway. No judgement here... noone is perfect.~
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It depends on just how damp or how big of a damp spot it is.. if she's sleeping through it, it may not be bothering her... however if it's a large damp spot or very damp, I would take away the blanket at the very least... Just make sure she isn't cold.. I wait until morning to change my son's diaper... I have the same dilemma as you.. if I change the diaper, he won't want to go back to sleep.. I just make sure I coat his butt, testes, and penis with a+d ointment or something similar to prevent diaper rash.
    Anonymous

• It's totally up to you. Whatever makes you comfortable. I would say yes because you don't want your baby getting sick. But then I would say no cuz I understand that she will be wide awake and hard to put her back to sleep. (I'm a first time mom too)
    Anonymous

• My son is soaked every morning but he sleeps through the night and I don't wake him even when I know he is going to wake up wet. BUT if I did know and had the chance to change him before I put him to bed, I think I would change him. It sucks, but I'd feel really bad knowing I let my baby lay in his pee all night.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I coated her diaper area with diaper rash ointment, like I do every night.
    Anonymous

• As my mother told me many years ago when I asked her "What kind of clothes should my baby wear?" She said " if your comfortable then the baby is comfortable. I just always took this advise and used it in times like yours. Hope this helps :)
    Francinab

Answer by Francinab at 11:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If your baby didn't like it, she'd wake up, Id think, lol. I would say heck no let her sleep, but then again I'm a mommy of a frequent night waker, so any sleep I can get out of her is gold, lol.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:05 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• i agree with depends on how wet. There have been a few times where she was sound asleep and i could tell she probably needed changed, but I have always followed the saying "you never wake a sleeping baby" if your baby is uncomfortable they will wake up. this may mean you will have to change the sheets or put on extra diaper cream in the morning. it is up to you in the end. my little girl sleeps a lot later than your too. if you think your baby will wake up at 2 am - thats not too long from now. i would let the baby sleep. but obviously i am different than most of the other moms on here.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 21, 2009