I have a 4 year old in prek.. will she learn to write her name before kindergarden?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If she is in preschool, they should be working on that with her. I believe (at least it is here) that it is a requirement to enter kindergarten.
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My two girls went to preschool (2 days a week) and they both learned to write their name. Actually my oldest learned before she even started preschool. I taught my son since he didn't go to preschool.
    I think most 4 year olds can handle learning to write their name at least in capital letters.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:40 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• She should have opportunities to learn to write her name. She should start with learning the pre-writing strokes. ( O, I, ---, T, H, +) A lot of preschoolers are expected to trace their names first and this is not developmentally appropriate. She needs to learn to make the above strokes, then copy the letters in her name. Write her name down on a piece of paper and have her copy it on a whole sheet of paper. Then work on getting her to copy it on smaller and smaller paper and eventually on lined paper or on a line at the top of her paper. If she seems to have trouble holding her crayon/pencil well, let her play with playdoh or clay. The squeezing, pulling, tearing, will exercise the muscles in her hands and make them stronger. Also, using small, broken, chunkie pieces of crayon work well to get children to hold their crayons correctly. You can't hold a small piece in the palm of your hand.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 3:38 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Yes, she should be learning to write her name. But there is no reason to rely on the school to teach it to her. You can do it.

Work on her holding a pencil correctly (at this age they should be able to copy a close approximation of a correct hold) and writing her letters.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:58 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My son turned four last month and is writing his full alphabet lower case and upper case. He stays at home with me. I just bought him the Ready for Writing, Ready for Reading, Letters, Letters to Copy, and First Numbers books from Usborne. I sell the books www.ubah.com/u2688 They're only about $4.99 a piece and a great investment. It got him excited about learning. We just got him over a problem he had where he thought that K and R were hard to write and a mom on here said to try the tracing book and sure enough a few hours later after using his Letters to Copy book he was doing it! Hope those books help. I couldn't recommend them to mom's enough! And they learn everything they need for kindergarden for $30 if you buy them all!!!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 2:22 AM on Feb. 28, 2009