How can I get my son to start walking?!

He is 14 months. He cruises and gets around great but will not walk on his own. My neck and back are killing me! He's 27 lbs. Help.

Luckylady0755

Asked by Luckylady0755 at 9:05 AM on Apr. 19, 2014 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When ours were getting close to walking on their own, hubby and I made a game of it. He and I would sit on the floor with our legs in a V shape, feet touching. We'd put our kid (we have two, 10 and 7) in the space our legs made. Kid would start out with me, holding my fingers, and start walking towards dad. I'd lean forward as far as I could, and then let go. Dad would lean forward and have his hands out to "catch" as the kid kept walking forward towards him. At first there would be an inch or two separating us. As kid got good at that, we'd make the gap the kid had to walk a little bigger and a little bigger.

It was fun for all of us.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2014

• It has to happen on his timeline. More patience for now. But it will happen! Hang in there.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:20 AM on Apr. 19, 2014

• Stop carrying him around. When you do not have to.

Answer by louise2 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2014

• I am dealing with the same thing with my one year old grand daughter.....no rush she will get there and so will your son....I put mine in her walker, and she zooms everywhere!

Answer by older at 9:29 AM on Apr. 19, 2014

• It happens when it happens. There is nothing you can do. Even when he starts to walk, you still do a lot of lifting him.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:46 AM on Apr. 19, 2014

• Mine was the same way. Now he walks just fine.

Answer by Bmat at 9:56 AM on Apr. 19, 2014

• You can't make him... he'll do it when he's ready.
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 10:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2014

• Just let him get on with it. He'll do it when he's ready (and when he has no other solution, i.e. nobody who is going to hold him while he cruises).
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 10:41 AM on Apr. 19, 2014

• Ugh, that's tough. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is to be patient. Help him practice by making a game out of it. Put something down that he wants and just wait for him to get it. He'll learn. Once he learns, do not let him talk you into carrying him. Make sure he knows he's a big boy now!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2014

• Rosehawk, love your idea, I am going to test it out....

Answer by older at 2:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2014