myspace?????????????please

my 13 dd wont to set up a myspace. and facebook. i am not to sure what they are. and before i say go for it are the safe? i dont wont to put her at risk. i am aware of how many sick people are out there. and i have never heard of facebook what is it?

mommytwo5

Asked by mommytwo5 at 1:03 AM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• MYSPACE:
    FIRST OF ALL NO MATTER WHAT MAKE SURE SHE MAKES IT PRIVATE. MAKE SURE SHE DOESNT ADD PEOPLE THAT SHE DOESNT KNOW. AND MAKE SURE THAT YOU WATCH HERS ALL THE TIME.
    WHAT A MYSPACE IS, IS A PLACE THAT YOU CAN "COMMENT" YOUR FRIENDS AND TELL THEM HEY WHATS UP.. AND STUFF.
    ITS GOOD BECAUSE YOU CAN MAKE LAYOUTS AND HAVE PERSONAL SONGS AND STUFF
    BUT ITS BAD BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE USE IT THE WRONG WAY.
    BY USING IT THE WRONG WAY I MEAN PUT BAD PICTURES AND TALK TO PEOPLE THAT THEY THINK ARE "CUTE" AND END UP "MEETING UP" WITH THEM.
    ITS SORT OF DANGEROUS, BUT IF SHE HAS CLOSE FRIENDS THAT ALL USE IT, THATS PROBABLY WHY!

FACEBOOK:
    ITS ANOTHER THING WHERE YOU POST PICTURES AND FRIENDS COULD COMMENT EACH OTHER. I THINK FACEBOOK IS FOR MORE OLDER PEOPLE.. LIKE ADULTS.. BUT NOW A DAYS EVERYONE HAS THEM SO I DONT KNOW.
    BUT ON FACEBOOK ITS MORE UPDATES OF WHAT PEOPLE ARE DOING AND NEW PICTURES & STUFF.
    NO LAYOUTS OR MUSIC
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• a facebook is just an easy way to keep up with people that you go to school with you can search people by the school they go to
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• If you don't know about something the best way to learn it is to do it. Get a myspace account and a facebook account and see for yourself. I don't think you can actually have either of these at 13 so you can actually tell her no based on their own terms of service.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:07 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Facebook and Myspace are pretty similiar.They can be safe, but I think you need to be at least 14 to start an account, maybe I'm wrong:)

Just make sure she only adds people she knows and her profile should be set on private and tell her to NEVER share any personal information about herself:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• As long as you monitor it and her use of it, it should be ok. Make sure she gives you the passwords so you can check on them periodically. (Sp?)
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 1:21 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Honestly I would call too young. My 11 yr old tried making a facebook account behind my back, and now isn't allowed internet access anymore. Not even at school. He has 2 months left to that grounding. Facebook and Myspace (I have both) are dangerous for kids, and they should have either until 15 at least. I know many kids I have babysat who claim to be 21 on myspace. In reality they are 12 and 13.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:13 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I don't have facebook, but a lot of people lie on MySpace. You can put up a picture of anyone and say it's you, lie about your age, lie about where you're from, what you do, etc... police have been catching a lot of would-be sex offenders that way. Even if she has it set to private, anyone on her "friends" list can see it... and she could be "friends" with anyone who she wants to add. Even if you try to keep up with it, she can read messages and comments people leave and then delete them before you can read them. If she has internet access at school, she can use it there, unless they have secured computers, which I doubt.

I'm not trying to cry doomsday, or insinuate that your daughter is irrisponsible... she might be very mature with it. All I'm saying is it's very dangerous due to sick people out there. Also among kids that age it turns into a big gossip and rumor mill.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 2:24 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I totally agree with Colleen, IMO myspace is really only a place to hook up now, thats why I dont get on anymore
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:26 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Trust ME ! I won't let my son (10) have this freedom until he can pay for it himself! I went through life without this crap and now that I am an adult who works and can pay for it, YAY! I have my own fun looking things up on youtube and websites from anything like Recipes to Urban legends and entertainment, porn etc! LMAO. No child under 15 should have a Myspace! AND my son KNOWS it! I have caught my 12 yr. old. neice chatting about and searching things she shouldn't (SEX) and I kick her butt out and say later! Then my stupid sis-in-law lets her go spend the night at her aunts house. DUH! Aunt lets her be on myspace while she smokes pot . AHEM! So WHY do you let a child have a myspace page again?.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:15 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Read THIS blog. It's amazing and will tell you a lot about what's important when your kids get on myspace...

AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 4:56 AM on Feb. 21, 2009