How long can this possibly last...?

DH and I decided to take the bottle AWAY FOR GOOD!!! DD is 16 months, and only got it at night but IMO she is too old for one so we took it away and decided to cup either. She screamed for 20-30 mins and then finally went to sleep. How long does this stage last? I dont know if I can take more than a few days? Also does it get easier day by day?
Also she takes one nap around 11 everyday for about an hour or two...if I stop letting her take this nap will she put up less of a fight at night?

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 1:32 AM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She is only 16 months! She still needs her nap in the morning or else she wouldn't be taking it.

Sorry, I haven't gotten to that point yet, but that is my opinion.

I would say that, like with all other things, it will probably only last a week or so.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:34 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• With my son the bottle withdrawl lasted for about a week, the nap, she needs it no matter what,
    tab9344

Answer by tab9344 at 1:39 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Definately still needs that nap!! My 29 month old still takes a nap. I've tried taking it away, and she may have a good day but it makes nights worse because she is then over tired. When she asks for her sippy try giving her a stuffed animal to sleep with, or a doll. Something else that can offer her comfort.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 1:42 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• She should still have her daily nap. It does get easier, just be consistent and don't give in. If you do, the next time is only going to be harder because she'll know that if she screams long enough you'll cave.

Don't change anything else of her routine, keep everything else "normal" for her.....

A little different, but we took our oldest boy's pacifier at 13 months. The third day he went to sleep with no trouble.

She only screamed for 20-30 minutes...while listening to it, I know it seems like forEVer...but it could be worse! Just keep at it.....each time will be better.....and I don't think it will last a week...less is my bet.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:24 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• She definitely still needs the nap, but letting a child scream for 20-30 minutes is just heartless. Babies scream/cry because they have a need to be fulfilled and it's going left unattended. My guess that her "need" in this case is the habit/comfort from the bottle. Letting her scream without comforting her teaches her to just give up on you once she's too exhausted to express her need to you. If you feel she's too old for the bottle, I recommend showing her comfort in some other new way, like by reading her a story at naptime or giving her a cuddly new teddy bear. Good luck!
    OrganicMermaid

Answer by OrganicMermaid at 8:31 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I would say that as for the nap she needs to continue to take it.. My dd is 4 and still takes a nap about 3 days a week. As for the bottle it will take around a week... Or atleast that's how it was when I took nursing away from dd. Hope the night time routine becomes easier with each passing night. With my dd most nights as soon as she is tucked in and I am waking out of the room she will be out.
    LovinKayla

Answer by LovinKayla at 10:53 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• At 16 months there is no "need"...it's habit pure and simple and one that needs to be broken.

And "letting a child scream for 20-30 minutes" is heartless if you don't make an attempt to calm them every so often and you literally just leave them there to scream! I didn't read anywhere that the OP said she did that. Stop bringing up things not in evidence!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• If you take the nap away, things will get far, far worse. An overtired child does NOT sleep better at night. Whoever came up with that stupid myth knew nothing about biology or child development. An overtired child has a harder time falling asleep, a harder time staying asleep, and is more likely to wake earlier. Why?
    When a young child gets overtired, their bodies release adrenaline to keep them going. The same chemical that floods your system after a car wreck or mugging. Try taking a nap while waiting for the cops to show up after you've been mugged. It's not going to work for you and it doens't work for her.
    Did you know that preschoolers get about an hour less sleep a day than they did 20 years ago? It's not because they don't need it. Most 4 year olds will take a nap at preschool if it's a normal part of the day. New research is linking too little sleep during these years to behavior problems in grade school.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• As for the bottle...
    if it's just water, there is no harm. Some kids need (yes NEED) the sucking motion to calm down and relax. Is it a habit? Yes. So what? Most of us have habits and rituals we do each day without thinking about it. But if something makes us do that thing differently, it feels wrong. Like I said, if it's water, there is no harm.
    So, if you think she will adapt easily, then keep going.
    If you think she will have a hard time, give them back with just water. You can take them away when she's older and can understand things like the "bottle fairy" or you can't go to preschool if you still use a bottle. Whatever "rule" you want to make up. Then you can ease her into it and let her decide when the time is right.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• The nap is more than a necessity, it is imperative, so don't stop the nap. Bottle feeding, well, I agree with kaycee. Putting water in the bottle at night if she is still needing to nuky is okay, imo. I did that with 2 of my 5. It soothed them and they eventually gave up the water bottle. I did try water bottle at night with one of my kiddos, she hated the water so gave up the bottle all together! This too shall pass, but make sure whatever your decision is, you stay consistent and calm! I KNOW it's hard. Some children need a more tapered transition and can't handle the sudden shock of taking it away. Every child takes something from their infancy into their toddler-hood, be it a blanket, a teddy, and yes, even a bottle. So to abruptly take that from them can be traumatic for the child. (if it's the bottle they carry over). Whatever you choose, again, just be consistent. Water in the bottle is a good suggestion!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2009