have any moms had to take terbutiline for an extended period of time due to preterm labor

I just want to know if this is safe for the baby? i am 29 weeks and have gone into pre term labor and the doctor has put me on terbutiline every six hours. they have me doing non stress tests twice a week to evaluate the baby while on the meds. i am still worried. when i take the med it raises my heartrate and blood preasure.

wyattsmom281

Asked by wyattsmom281 at 2:33 AM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was in the exact same shoes at 29 weeks, I was taking the drug every 4 hours.. the accelerated heart rate, is pretty scary, but you will be just fine!! (the only thing I heard the drug does to the baby is also increase the heart rate)

I was also 3 cm dilated at 29 weeks, I made it to 32 weeks ! Good luck and best wishes
    Po0okiebear69

Answer by Po0okiebear69 at 2:35 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• how was your baby born at 32 weeks? that is so scary.
    wyattsmom281

Answer by wyattsmom281 at 2:36 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I just kept progressing in labor, when i was 3cm dilated at 29 weeks, I guess that was active labor, but I was able to pon it off another couple weeks on bedrest and that drug.. 2 weeks after I first found out I was dilated, I noticed real contractions that the pain was radiating to my back.. this was happening all day off and on, i finally went to the hospital, when I got there i was already 6cm dilated with majorly bulging waters... They kept me and increased the dose of terabutaline , but it was too late.. I just kept dilating, and when I got to a 9cm , my doctor broke my water, and 20 minutes thereafter that was the end of my pregnancy :-(

she was in the NICU for 28 days and is doing wonderful now
    Po0okiebear69

Answer by Po0okiebear69 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2009