what will be the influence on my 3 yo toddler if me and his dad speak another language than the community and he didn't go to school yet and he doesn't speak english at all

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• In my experience of working with preschoolers with special needs ages 3-5. If the only language he speaks right now and the only language he hears at home is not English, then he will be behind his same aged peers in his English speaking abilities. He really needs to hear both languages spoken equally! RIGHT NOW! Of course when he begins elementary school he would get English as a Second Language services(ESL) to help him, but having him hear and learn English and his native language now would be best. Children have a window of opportunity to learn languages easily when they are younger. If you speak both languages at home to him, then he will learn both equally well and not be behind his same aged peers.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 3:47 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• You should just go ahead and best answer that... :)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:49 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• There are many homes were children are not allowed to speak english and they adapt just fine. Im sure the child has been listening to tv in english if not Sesame Street is always a good place to start, not kidding you. Another suggestion start introducing bilingual books at home before starting school -
    At home we do speak both languages and now at the age of eight my daughter has self taught herself how to read in spanish at home. Without any effort they are now bilingual - my daughter has showed interest in learning Korean and just another opportunity to expand their world.
    krubalc

Answer by krubalc at 4:03 AM on Feb. 21, 2009