Who's kids wear a coat, snowsit,jacket ect. Don't answer if you don't have your kids ina coat

So someone asked why parents wear a coat and there 2 yr old is in short sleeves? I always have my child in at least long sleeves in the middle of winter. If we go some place I make my 4 yr old wear a coat even though she doesn't want to and my 13 month old has no choice. Some parents give there child a choice to wear one. Does your child wear one? Do you keep the coat on them even if they are in a carseat? One mother told me it was unsafe for my child because I put them in a carseat with a coat on. They said the seatbelt is supose to be snug against the body. So she said I was indangering my child. How many other mom's put a child in a carseat with there coat on??????

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• umm i put my son in his carseat with a coat on. who ever told you that is dumb. so what your supposed to take their coat off in 0 degree weather and put them in the carseat? uh nope. nooo thank you.

yes its safe. yes my son is only 11 months but he will wear a coat when its cold outside until he's 35 :) LOL
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:02 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• When it is cold, my kids have coats on. They are not always happy about it, but we live in Wisconsin, so some days you have to go out and it is only 5 degrees....so a coat is a necessity! No choice!
    As for putting them in the car seat with their coats on...I absolutely do. There is no choice but to put them in their coats before going outside, which means they wear them in the car as well. Someone once told me that it was unsafe as well, but I am not sure that I believe that 100%, as long as you still have the straps tightened around them, I would think that you are fine.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 9:02 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My son wears the coat in the car seat. I have read that in some states that is illegal and you can get a ticket for it and it is suppose to be safer but if you have the child in the car seat with the straps adjusted right it shouldn't make that much of a difference.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:04 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• my kids wear coats when it is cold and they are buckled in their carseats with them on.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:04 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I do. It is only really cold here a little while but when it is I put a jacket on my LO and he rides with it. I'm also a big fan of layering clothes so you can take them off as the day warms. Now my older DS, I put him in sweats. He won't wear a coat/jacket (sensory issues) unless it's very cold.

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:07 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• yes she said that she doesn't put him a coat on because she has to put it on to go to the car take it off to put his seatbelt on and to put it on to go back to the house then take it off again so she doesn't even bother then another said that her 2 yr old gets to decide if he wants to wear a coat. There were actually 30 post on there and like most of them thought the same as her about coats
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• http://pediatrics.about.com/od/carseats/a/0107_wintercoat.htm. This is what's "recommended" - which doesn't make it dumb. Some parents prefer to follow recommendations that make their children safer in the car, like taking off thick winter coats before buckling them in and THEN putting the coats back on like a blanket. However, it's only a recommendation, so obviously, every parent has a right to do what they think is best, especially considering some of the frigid temperatures some moms live in that others don't.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I put my daughter in her carseat with her jacket on everytime we leave our house. I never take my daughter anywhere without a jacket seeing as how where we live it is VERY cold pretty much everyday. I don't feel that a jacket gets in the way of protecting them. Wouldn't that be the same for us? So we as adults shouldn't wear jackets while driving and have seatbelts on because obviously it wouldn't protect us. Wow, a lot of people should be dead right now if that were the case....
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My son is always hot. From the time he was born. If I try to put him in a snowsuit he sweats profusely and freaks out unless its to go play in the snow. He is often underdressed for the weather. I get strange looks sometimes, but I know how to take care of my son. If he has a coat on I do not take it off to put him in his car seat. I just adjust the straps so they are snug against his coat but not too tight.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:28 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My kids wear VERY thin jackets/coats in the car. Basically, if you have to loosen the straps to fit their coat/jacket in the seat with them, then the coat/jacket is too thick (for the carseat, not in general)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:50 AM on Feb. 21, 2009