How can I tell my daughter how important it is to get her children to say their prayers every day without stepping on her toes too much?

I am very concerned about my grandchildren not developing a close relationship with God. I do what I can when I baby-sit them but that's not enough.

WorkatHomeMom08

Asked by WorkatHomeMom08 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Unfortunately, the ball is in her court. You should just talk to her about it and ask where she is with her own relationship with Him. Maybe she's struggling, giving her no motivation to teach her kids much about it. Offer to take the kids to church with you every Sunday.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• You can express how you feel but the decision to do it is up to your daughter.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:45 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• It is not up to you. This is their parents job and should not interfere with their parenting. If my parents or inlaws had done that to my kids I would have been furious!
    Freightgal

Answer by Freightgal at 9:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• You can't. You raised your children the way you felt was appropriate and now it is her turn. You will just create hard feelings if you push it. You will also create VERY hard feelings if you do things behind her back. You should just stay out of it and enjoy your grandchldren.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:58 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Wow, I can't believe the audacity of some people...to go over the parents head. If I had found out my parents or inlaws were doing something like that not only would I be furious but I probably wouldn't let my kids around them for a LONG, long time and never, ever by themselves (only supervised visits) because they would have completely lost my trust.
    What you do is tell your daughter your concerns and then you drop it and never bring it up again. I'm sure she already knows how you feel but has decided to raise her kids in a different manner. That is her choice. You are supposed to support her, not undermine her.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:28 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• When your grandchildren are old enough they can develop the spiritual life they wish to have. You shouldn't be telling your daughter how to raise her children based on your spiritual beliefs, she will do what she thinks is best.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Tell her how you feel. But keep it simple and once you tell her drop it. She's the mom now, and the decisions are hers to make.

Also, pray about it.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• You cant. You arent their MOTHER.
    Only she can do it and nagging(even if you dont think you are, she may) wont really help the situation. It would only drive her farther away.

Lead by example not pressure. What she says goes as she is the one in charge.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 10:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• There's not a whole lot you can do. I would say first of all talk to your daughter like a previous post said, and go from there. If she doesn't mind you buying the kids spiritual books and such, then do that. Encourage them without overstepping your boundaries as a Grandma. Also, pray about it. God will answer our prayers. He will do what is right for the kids in his own time.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• It's not really your business. If you are worried talk to your daughter. But it's up to HER, not you. Maybe she doesn't feel there is a problem or maybe she doens't want to raise her children that way. My children are being raised to find their own path. My mother and grandmother are very devote JWs and when we are at their homes we respect their religious choices... In my home however religion is viewed as a very personal thing and not something that should be taught or inforced by parents. It's something that needs to be found by the individual. My family may not agree but these are MY children. They raised me and taught what they felt was right. It wasn't right for me though. And it's not right for my kids. When your grand kids are at your house make sure you create situations where prayer is explored. But in her home it's not your job or place.

Goddess Bless!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:04 AM on Feb. 21, 2009