I really need some help here!!!

My 7 month old has a double ear infection. She was started on anibiotics Thursday evening but has yet to show any change. She wants nothing to do with solid food anymore and she dosent finish her bottles. I keep trying to give her Pedialite but she cant stand it. How do I keep her hydrated if she wont drink anything?? Also, does anyone know how long a double ear infection is supposed to last? Like I said she has been on medication since Thursday night and she really isint showing any signs of feeling better, she is constantly pulling her ears. Im starting to really worry!!

ArmyWife15

Asked by ArmyWife15 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would take her back to the dr. or the emergency room. The antibiotics should have kicked in by now. As far as liquids, you could try using a medicine dropper to get some in.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 9:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My ds had a double ear infection. It tookabout 3 full days of it to kick in and on the 4th it was better. In the mean time you could give Infant Motrin. It really helps with pain. As far as eating thats tough and we too had to use a medicein dropper to get pedialyte down. I would say if there is no improvement by tomorrow then call the doc. Or if you live by a CVS pharmacy they have minute clinics there now and they can check your baby to see if there is any improvement or if its gotten worse for some reason ...whatever the case may be, They can prescribe meds as well
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 10:10 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• hugs mama... when you feed her her bottle.. how do you hold her? I ask this cause i learned this when my sister was dealing with this when her kids had ear infections.. and she was told to sit the baby up rather than at an angle or craddled.. because the sucking puts a strain on the ears ... but like the previous poster said, try a medicine dropper or even a cup... when my son was sick i was drinking out of a cup and he grabbed it and put it to his mouth... so i gave him some of my water, and well, then he loved trying it.. so we got him his own sippy cup, and he will take milk or water from it..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:54 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Call the Doctor and ask for numbing drops for her ears. They work really well while waiting for the antibiotics to kick in. My son had a double ear infection and it took several days before the antibiotics started working, we used the numbing drops and it worked wonders!! We also use the numbing drops while he's teething, since teething is known to cause earaches.
    Laurr24

Answer by Laurr24 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I have been going thru the same thing w/ my 9 month old. She has been in/out of emergency rooms and has been on 3 different antibiotics - Sulfur, Penicillin, Zithromax - she stopped eating and drinking for awhile so we kept bringing her back to her doctor b/c we were afraid of dehyrdration. They must've thought I was nutz after like the 6th visit. She ran very high fevers and her eardrum ruptured. But once it ruptured, it drained and that seemed to relieve the pressure. You might want to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion as our first pediatrician didn't diagnose her correctly. Keep pushing the Pedialyte and fluids...don't worry about the baby food right now. Get more than one opinion - she may have to switch drugs or even be on them for weeks like my baby has. She has gotten better but it's been a LONG haul. Hang in there!!!
    italy4118

Answer by italy4118 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2009