Has being on Cafe Mom been a eye-opener to you? About the way others live their lives?

Before joining Cafe Mom, I had no idea there were so many women who don't vaccinate their kids,for whatever reasons, who don't circumcise their baby boys, for whatever reasons,and so many different religions, or lack thereof. Maybe I've been sheltered,but it's been a real eye-opener in the months I've been here. Does anyone else agree with that? Why or why not. NOT trying to start drama, or a debate, I'm honestly interested in how other moms feel!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I too am amazed with the differences. The beauty in this is that we are all different & entitled to our differences. Sometimes its hard for me to comprehend but I will not judge. Maybe ask some questions to provoke more thought & understanding.

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 10:07 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• yes, I have learned that theres a lot more things that go on in families.
    such as drugs, abuse, etc. I mean i knew it always happened but i never realized how often and how openly people talk about it.
    I also realized that there are many moms who are really immature and just looking for a chance do look down on others who dont do thigns exactly the wayy i do.
    I mean honestly, why would you care if someone else formula feeds? its not your child so dont worry about it. sorry, just had to vent a little
    but yes i agree with you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• That's exactly how I feel. It's been amazing to see how others live,and what makes them tick. Very interesting and fascinating. And,as you said, that's the beauty of it,that we can all live so differently.
    Anonymous

• no not really because I travel....but I enjoy people
    DanaWar

Answer by DanaWar at 10:35 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I knew about those life styles, but I didn't know that people get so defensive and radical about them. I figured people just made their choices and went on. To each their own I always thought.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:40 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Yep. I never realized there were so many extremists out there. You know those moms who act like if you don't do it their way you are abusing/neglecting your kids and are a horrible mother. Really the thing that got me was the religious stuff. All the religious people I know (which is pretty much everyone) are good, loving, caring people that don't care what you believe as long as you are a good person and would never think to tell you that you are going to hell.
    Then I came on here and I've gotten hate mail and told I deserve to have my kids taken from me because I don't believe in their brand of whatever religion and then I found out they want our government to follow only their religion. It scares the crap out of me. I don't know anyone like that in real life and didn't realize how racist and ignorant and arrogant this country still is.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:15 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• no same amount of rude ignorant people here as there are in the real world and all the shot stuff and circumsition (SP?) things i have been hearing since i was in high school i think its all bull the only thing that has amazed me is that of the level of people that say if you dont believe or think they way i do your wrong or racist or a bad mother its said the only think my eyes have been open to is how immature "adluts" can be i have only found a few on here that dont act like 12 year olds
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Oh you know it.

I never knew that there really were horrible people in the world. I guess I was just naive. I never knew about the "mommy wars" that go on. I never knew that so many people were really bigoted racist extremists but acted nice in their daily lives. I never realized how passionate some people really were about their religions.

Basically, I've seen a lot of people on CM that I thought just existed in movies and fairy tales. IE, incredibly extreme personalities that won't accept any reality except their own. Sad.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• i had no idea women argued with each other over which way was best to raise a child. it's pretty sad to me that people argue over whether a child should should co-sleep or not. honestly, it doesn't matter as long as the child is taken care of, ya know? too many people want to argue over differences instead of finding out what they have in common.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• We're military, and we've lived in 5 different places (2 outside of the US) and visited more, so I am well aware of the diversity in the ways that people raise their children, the religions, and everything else. I respect other people's opinions and I try not to judge other people. I can't say I always succeed, but I do try my best.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2009