• In the Spotlight:

What kind of sleeping schedule would you suggest for late working family of 5 month old?

I am a stay home mom and my husband has his own emergency plumbing business, where he usually gets up around 8.30 - 9.0 am, comes home at various times and tends to stay up late till midnight. I am struggling to create a routine for me and the baby. Our daughter is flexible, didn't develop schedule of her own, I try to put her to bed around 8.30 pm, but then she wakes up at 2.0 am, around 6.0 am and gets up at 7.30 am. Sometimes she gets up at 8.30 am, which seems better for us, but then we would put her to bed at 9.30 - 10.0 pm. Is this to late? What is the best for the baby? When should we switch to earlier and she would actually sleep through the night?

katy1980

Asked by katy1980 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get the baby book baby411.. that has a great chapter on sleep... i started our son on a sleep schedule when he 5 weeks old.. and now, at 7 months, and now all i have to do is lay him down and he will handle the rest on his own... i also have some sleeping techniques listed in my journal postings... my son gets up at 630 and plays for a bit, then eats and his first nap is at 830 and then 10am he will wake up, and then eat his first solid meal and the rest of a small bottle.. 1pm his lasnt nap of the day usually 2 hours, and so on... i think if you get that book and read up on what they recommend that you will have get on a great sleep schedule.. plus she will be awake when daddy leaves for work, so he can play with her a bit before that first nap... if you need anything, msg me
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:32 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I put both my children to sleep at 9pm and my littest always wakes a 7 no matter what time I put her down. If you are able to keep her awak longer until about 10 that would be ok, Soemthing that might make her sleep longer is if you make sure her room stayes darker, Put a blanket up in there window, I know when my oldest was a baby she would just wake because of the light!
    Hope this tips works?
    GJCJMomie

Answer by GJCJMomie at 11:14 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Well as long as you keep getting up with her in the middle of the night she probably wont sleep all through. but as far as getting her on a sched whenever you feel you need her to be on one. When my daughter was that little we would give her a bath around 9 and then to be in bed around 10 and she would sleep til around 4 then eat and sleep again til around 8. then i stopped getting up with her at night and she would sleep all through. And as she got older she got sleepy earlier. so now we give a bath @ 8/9 and feed her and put her right down after that and she sleeps til 8:30/9 and she is 9 months old.
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 1:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I started out schedule at 4 mos and would put her down between 11 and 12 and would sleep until 11 or 12. She now goes down between 8 and 830 with her last nap ending at 7 and sleeps until between 730 and 9 in the morning. You have to decide what routine works for your family as well as what sleep schedule works. I wish you all the luck with it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:42 PM on Feb. 21, 2009