HORRIBLE Mom moment- question about pinched fingers in a toddler

I went into the garage and found that my cat had urinated on a plastic bag with my SOs favorite sweatshirt in it. I picked it up around the edges and was taking it inside to throw it away and my toddler was right there by the door- there is a step down to the garage so I shut the door and just heard her SCREAM. I look over and her poor little fingers are stuck in the door :'(

She cried for just a few minutes and got on the boob and fell asleep. Her fingers are a little swollen. I don't think anything's broken or she wouldn't have stopped crying so fast. I bet it sure hurt though!!! Anything I should be looking for?

Ugh. I died a little inside when that happened.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:16 PM on May. 6, 2014 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids get their fingers smashed all the time, mainly because they don't listen to me about keeping bedroom doors open. Ice it, but she is probably fine, if she stopped crying they quickly.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 4:57 AM on May. 7, 2014

• It has happened to my kids too. It does feel so bad when your little one gets hurt on your watch. Hugs to you!

I personally would call the doctor's office and talk to a nurse about it. They can tell you what to look for as far as how serious it is.

She is probably just fine, but for your own sanity, a call to the doctor can go a long way.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:46 PM on May. 6, 2014

• Oh and I ended up throwing that bag on my hardwood floor to help her. Guess I should start mopping.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 6:17 PM on May. 6, 2014

• EDIT- It was a regular door- not the big sliding garage door. That would be even more terrifying.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 6:24 PM on May. 6, 2014

• I always thought swelling means damage, fracture or break. Call the doctor.

Answer by louise2 at 7:35 PM on May. 6, 2014

• My kids and I have all had fingers shut in car doors or trunks. Hurts like crazy but most times just a little swelling. You can use some cool/ cold therapy if it is achy. If the swelling doesn't go down in a couple of days you might want a dr. to take a peek but more than likely she will have forgotten the whole thing.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:22 AM on May. 7, 2014

• She woke up fine.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:18 PM on May. 7, 2014