Scared to eat

Last week my 4 yr old choked on a chip and it scratched her throat. For days she has been eating very little and yesterday nothing. This isn't about sitting her down and not letting her up until she eats she will sit there for hours. After eating nothing yesterday and it being near lunch today still not eating she is shaking, like a person does when they need to eat. I even tried giving her a couple bites of ice cream (her fav!) she took two bites and started crying that she is scared covering her mouth. I am scared for her she needs to eat.

Angie430

Asked by Angie430 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe make her smoothes with her favorite fruits, or try cutting things into little little pieces like for an infant for her to ease into the comfort of it again. Good luck, sorry to hear she choked. My girl would choke on chips all the time when she was smaller.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• that's really strange. have you talked to the doctor? what if a piece of the chip lodged in her throat? I think you should take her to the doctor to have him look at her throat to make sure there's not still a piece stuck there. I know it doesn't seem likely, but better safe than sorry. In the meantime, it'll have to be pediasure shakes, soup, yogurt, ice cream, popsicles, applesauce, etc.---essentially a "liquid" diet. Just keep encouraging her to get something -ANYTHING- in her stomach, because that is the first step in getting over her trauma, if that's really all that's going on and there isn't some kind of physical injury as well.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Would she eat jello or baby yoghurt without the lumps?
    Popsicles - as they melt before she swallows
    Offer her food every hour and if she only eats two mouthfuls each time then she should be getting a reasonable amount of food. I would concentrate more on fluids
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Have you talked to her about being scared? About how scary it was and how much the chip hurt? Talk to her and make sure she's expressing her fears - it's very helpful for kids and adults to get these emotions out in the open. Then try having some fun with different things like jello or other soft foods - try to make it as silly as possible so that she can start laughing and getting some of the fear out. I don't think she'll be willing to eat until the fear is dealt with to her satisfaction, so focus less on making her eat and more on accepting the fear and then HAVING FUN with food - play with it, squish it, explore it...Make it fun...when she's ready, she'll put it in her mouth and reconnect eating with positive emotions and not fear. Good luck!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Thanks ladies:) She's eating better now
    Angie430

Answer by Angie430 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I would give her as much liquid as she wants, popcycles, m&m's... Etc... And let her tell you when she is ready.
    motherabc

Answer by motherabc at 10:08 AM on Feb. 26, 2009