Scared to eat

Last week my 4 yr old choked on a chip and it scratched her throat. For days she has been eating very little and yesterday nothing. This isn't about sitting her down and not letting her up until she eats she will sit there for hours. After eating nothing yesterday and it being near lunch today still not eating she is shaking, like a person does when they need to eat. I even tried giving her a couple bites of ice cream (her fav!) she took two bites and started crying that she is scared covering her mouth. I am scared for her she needs to eat.

Angie430

Asked by Angie430 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Health

• Oh poor little one! I am so sorry. I'd take her to the doctor and get her throat checked to rule out inflamation or infection. The doctor might have suggestions. I wonder if jello might help. You'd think if she got hungry enough that she'd eat or drink something. A milkshake? Please let us know how she does?

Answer by Bmat at 10:39 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• i agree with the above also maybe applesauce show her how you eat it and its ok and if its cold it will sooth her throte like the ice cream. poor little thing i hope for the best.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I would give her some pediasure in the meantime. At least it has the nutrients she needs and it's in a liquid form. Definitely call the Dr. though. She might have something wrong with her throat now.
    Laurr24

Answer by Laurr24 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Thanks ladies, she is limited due to allergies..no apple sause or milkshake. I am still letting her have milk but not getting full on it I want her to eat. But even the ice cream she didn't want anything to do with after a couple of bites. I don't think her throat hurts she seems scared that she will choke again and that will hurt.
    Angie430

Answer by Angie430 at 11:48 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I think you should get her into the doctor. Maybe she did some damage to her throat and it is painful. If she is honestly just scared, she will eat. She isn't going to starve herself to death.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I agree, get her to the doctor, or as it is the weekend, go to the ER or an urgent care clinic if she doesn't eat anything today. She could have a more serious scratch in her throat, and it could have gotten infected. I would be concerned if my 4 year old were doing this, and she doesn't eat much to begin with. Keep us updated!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Turns out she needed some time to not be scared she is mostly back to normal but I am sure she won't be eating a chip again for a while, Thanks ladies
    Angie430

Answer by Angie430 at 7:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2009