I don't feel sad. I feel in awe...

Emily Letts has gone viral. She even has nine threads on CM.

Why, you may ask. She filmed her abortion.
(The video is 3:18. In it she talks about discovery her pregnancy and her decision to terminate. You see her entering the procedure room, humming through the procedure and then briefly talking about it about 6 weeks later)

She posted the video because:

"We've been taught that abortion is a scary thing, and it's totally inaccurate,"
"When people think about abortion, they think about people waving signs... You don't see the women..."
"to dispel some myths about what it’s like to get one"
"that it wasn’t something to feel tormented about"

What do you think about her reasoning in filming and posting? 

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 10:21 AM on May. 9, 2014 in Health

• My girls and I had a really good discussion about this yesterday. We are a decidedly very pro-choice family but this woman got very little support from my kids. It was interesting to hear their reasons but a couple of the main points were:

1. This film could be a major trigger and, as an employee of a women's clinic, she should know this
    2. That she feeds into the stereotype that "Pro-choice" equal "Pro-Abortion"
    3. That she minimizes the emotional issues that women have after an abortion, even if that abortion was the best choice for them at the time.

My middle daughter summed it up by saying that we should all send her posters that state "You're not helping"
    Thairaze

Answer by Thairaze at 10:26 AM on May. 9, 2014

• "You're not helping"

HA!
    Is that what I was trying to come up with?
    I have been chewing on this since last night and I feel kind of dirty after watching it?

IDK why but for me, this video was more disturbing than the Budd Dwyer video which is a VERY! graphic real suicide.
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 10:30 AM on May. 9, 2014

• I think it's a flawed premise. She went in knowing she'd be shooting it and knowing the message she wanted to send. If there was anything less than Pollyanna about the entire experience, she had a vested interest in hiding it, even denying it to herself. It would be more meaningful if it was spontaneous - videos of several women with different experiences, who didn't have an agenda. Otherwise, her painting it as nothing more emotional than getting a manicure is JUST as disingenuous as those who suggest everyone who has one will end up suicidal.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:33 AM on May. 9, 2014

• I agree strongly with all of pp, and would like to add that she seems slightly unstable and attention seeking. She is a questionable person to have as a counselor for birth control options, considering she couldn't manage to take her own and then waxes poetic about how she was "amazed at how she could create life." WTF? You're not helping is an understatement!!!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:19 PM on May. 9, 2014

• I think this is such an intense and private moment that I would personally, be a sociopath to film it. That said, one could argue her point of view...if we were talking about destroying a cockroach or an ant and not human life. But this is just not me. I'm pro choice but I'm not for screaming it from the rooftops and using it as birth control. In the situation of rape or incest, it's a no brainer to me and that is my opinion.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:20 PM on May. 9, 2014

• But it IS a scary thing. Making the decision, going through the procedure, the healing process after (both emotional and physical). It's all scary. Any major life changing experience can be scary. To say it's not scary is just wrong and shows how mentally disturbed she really is.
    anime0719

Answer by anime0719 at 12:54 AM on May. 10, 2014

• Is there a link that won't go to the video? I briefly heard about this, but I will NOT watch the video. I am pro-life, and while I do not attack people that aren't, I think I would get sick watching that. I think it is incredibly selfish of her, and IMO opinion, choosing to abort is a huge thing and if you aren't scared or nervous about it, then there might be something wrong with you. I see someone said she was "amazed at how she could create life", this just makes it even more sick to me. I get a lot of people don't think a fetus is a life and therefore see no issues with aborting, but if she is so amazed that she could create a life just to end it like that, she must not really be that amazed. She is definitely not helping anything at all, in fact I would say she is making it worse. Does she not see that how she acted is going to reflect on her employer?
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 3:59 AM on May. 10, 2014

• all the links will get you to the video.
    her employer encouraged the posting
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 9:39 AM on May. 10, 2014