Your statements are false, defamatory, libelous, and slanderous

Reddit user trevely says he purchased a Medialink Wireless-N Broadband Router from Amazon last September, but had multiple concerns about the product as soon as he received it.

And something appeared to be amiss with the Amazon reviews of the product.

His original post, the company's response and his edited critique may be found here. (Although, according to the link below: Neither the letter nor the user can be confirmed)

Did you know Companies, have every right to sue people who write reviews on websites that they may feel are libelous or defamatory?

Examples:

In 2012, a Virginia court sided with a contractor who received a negative review from a woman on Yelp, claiming defamation. The woman who wrote the review said the service was poor and accused the contractor of stealing her jewelry. She was sued for $750,000.

In 2011, a book author sued a man, though unsuccessfully, who wrote negative reviews about his book on Amazon.

In 2006, a woman in Florida won $11.3 million in a lawsuit resulting from defamatory remarks on an Internet message board. 

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 11:33 AM on May. 9, 2014 in Shopping

• Defamation of character is a sue-able offense, I think.  So you can say or write your opinion of someone service BUT you can't accuse them of stealing from you.

momngram

Answer by momngram at 11:37 AM on May. 9, 2014

• Added bonus, Amazon has now banned Medialink from using Amazon to sell their products. The company is NOW trying to blame the reviewer for all the job losses this will create, ignoring that sending that letter in the first place was a violation of Amazon's ToS.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:44 AM on May. 9, 2014

• and their apology is taking me to a broken link

Where are the damn facts!
    I am having a rough day, lol
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 11:49 AM on May. 9, 2014

• Defamation is subject to lawsuits.

But you have to prove that it was unjustified and caused damage.

Happens on court shows every day.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:00 PM on May. 9, 2014

• They didn't apologize, they posted to blame the reviewer for getting people fired. I don't know if they figured out exactly how much worse that made them look, or if their post is getting the reddit hug of death - that link went up early this morning, so they've probably had a few million hits by now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:01 PM on May. 9, 2014

• You can review a product or service but when you make accusations or attack their character you can be sued. There is a difference.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:13 PM on May. 9, 2014

• This is why reading the TOS is so important. That's how these lawsuits were allowed to go forward; people just scrolled and clicked without reading. Remember, in most cases, a TOS is a legally binding document.

That said, most of these cases are getting thrown out and I expect the industry to change in the near future
    Thairaze

Answer by Thairaze at 5:28 PM on May. 9, 2014

• Hey, wait, you mean I can sue those people who left me bad reviews? Excuse me...I have some court docs to file, then I'll be back to answer this.

Okay, seriously now: the woman that accused the contractor of stealing her jewelry - that one I can understand. That accusation should not have been put in a review. That is defamation. She should have called the police, reported the theft and told police she suspected the contractor, let them handle it.

The message board posts also could be defamation, depending on what was said and if it was untrue and caused damages, as in if people believed it.

But in general, a bad review (imo, anyway) is not grounds for a defamation lawsuit. Not liking a product or service and saying so is not defamation. That's not liking a service or product. Period. It happens. You can't please 100% of people 100% of the time. Just can't happen.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:05 PM on May. 9, 2014

• Wendy I agree with you completely.
    abecee

Answer by abecee at 7:12 PM on May. 10, 2014