blood in stool

I found blood in my 2 wk old's stool when i changed his diaper, what could it be. I have a dr. appt on monday for him because he is having a hard time gaining weight should i just wait or call the dr?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call back, blood in stool in NOT normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• IS NOT*
    Anonymous

• Well I'm inclined to say its normal. That happened with my baby at that age and its because they have all those hormones from mommy's body to get rid of. However it is scary so I can't say I wouldnt call myself. It depends on how much is in there. For my dd it was only pink not red and "bloody".
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:18 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Are you breastfeeding? If you are, it could be from that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• How could it be from breastfeeding?

Is it bright red? On the outside of the poop? Or more like IN the poop? Are the stools black or tarry? Does he seem to struggle when he poops?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My baby had blood in her stool (just a tiny bit) and I called the doc. She wanted to see her right away...she also asked me to save her diaper and bring it in. I was breastfeeding and DD was pooping all the time. Anyway, it caused her to have anal fissures....tiny tears around the delicate skin of the anus....so she just told me to be gentle and they would heal. The blood was coming from the fissure and not from the "inside" if that makes sense. Nothing serious, but she totally wanted to see her right away to make sure.
    Anonymous

• its bright red and its in the stool. his stool is yellowish and looks seedy, he grunts alot but not just when he is pooping. i breastfeed but i supplement because his pedi reccomended it. This is my first baby so im worried about everything, and its saturday and the office isnt opened. My DH said to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse we will go to the children's hospital but if it doesnt get worse we can just wait til monday? i dont know what to do.
    Anonymous