Morality without religion

How many times have we heard, those without faith in god lack morals and values. How can this be? How do we explain the millions of people who manage to live loving, thoughtful lives in the world? The world would be chaos if this were true. I often wonder how people can go around spreading blatant lies about their own god, and others lives.

".....if you cant determine right from wrong, you lack empathy, not religion"

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 6:55 AM on May. 12, 2014 in Religious Debate

• They have been brainwashed to believe that religion = morality and they cannot (refuse) see the truth that even the religious can be immoral assholes ... WBC, Jim Jones, David Koresh and Islamic militants (Taliban, Sunni, Boko Haram) for example. This is part of the "willful ignorance" that I hate.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense ... only 1/2 cup of coffee so far.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:16 AM on May. 12, 2014

• People like to believe they're superior, part of that is their morality being superior to everyone else's. The added bonus is that some (not all) religions make that a selling point. "Convert to our religion and you'll be more moral than all your trashy neighbors, you can sleep peacefully at night knowing you'll get swell gifts and prizes when you die, and they won't."
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:15 AM on May. 12, 2014

• It doesn't matter if you're religious or not. You can be a good moral person or the slime of the earth regardless of your belief. I know some so called "Christians" that I don't want anywhere near my kids and then I know others that don't believe in God but are wonderful people who I trust all the way. You have to look at the person's heart to know who they really are.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:11 AM on May. 12, 2014

• I think it comes from the question why be moral if yo're not expecting reward or fearful of punishment. Sadly we've actually experienced Christians who have implied, or even outright admitted, that without one or both of those things they'd do awful, immoral acts.

Some see morality as an obligation to God, and don't understand how someone without belief in God can be moral. They don't get that for those of us who don't feel morality is owed to GOD believe that morality is something we owe our fellow man, something we owe ourselves. It's not out of fear or hope for reward, but out of an understanding that our fellow man is our family, so to speak. It's not some abstract commandment, it's an innate relationship.

Then there's the whole, if you can be "good without God," what's the point. They're (those who are applicable, not ALL) taught that they're dirty sinners, incapable of goodness, needing of salvation. (cont)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:31 AM on May. 12, 2014

• So surely anyone rejecting the teachings or atonement can't possibly be moral if they, themselves, need Jesus to save them from their own imperfection. I was visiting my family's church this weekend, and even they were discussing how we cannot live up to Jesus' example. Yet other interpretations and non-Christian morality stems from the thought that we are not only capable, we are OBLIGATED to cultivate this kind of goodness.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:34 AM on May. 12, 2014

• The only thing I can say is, REALLY!

Answer by louise2 at 9:38 AM on May. 12, 2014

• Sadly we've actually experienced Christians who have implied, or even outright admitted, that without one or both of those things they'd do awful, immoral acts.

There was a post here years ago, and it still sticks with me because of how nonchalant they were about saying it, where someone said without her faith she would probably kill people. That's either some serious brainwashing, or some serious pathology being held in check by a routine. I wondered at the chicken or the egg aspect of that, but she never gave any answers beyond that which were more than 3 or 4 words. Was she raised with the belief that, literally, every non-whatever denom she was, secretly stole and killed without a second thought, and wholeheartedly believed it, or was she a psychopath using a religion like Dexter's rules?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:08 AM on May. 12, 2014

• Some see morality as an obligation to God, and don't understand how someone without belief in God can be moral. They don't get that for those of us who don't feel morality is owed to GOD believe that morality is something we owe our fellow man, something we owe ourselves. It's not out of fear or hope for reward, but out of an understanding that our fellow man is our family, so to speak. It's not some abstract commandment, it's an innate relationship.

Then there's the whole, if you can be "good without God," what's the point. They're (those who are applicable, not ALL) taught that they're dirty sinners, incapable of goodness, needing of salvation. So surely anyone rejecting the teachings or atonement can't possibly be moral if they, themselves, need Jesus to save them from their own imperfection.
    ~BG~
    *********
    THIS ( I couldn't have said it any better)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:34 AM on May. 12, 2014

• You cannot be moral without God. it doesn't matter if you don't believe in him, he still works within you. If he is working within you then you are serving his purpose and one day you will recognize that and turn to him instead of continuing to stray away from him in denial. Or at least I have been told.
    adp_3805

Answer by adp_3805 at 12:41 PM on May. 12, 2014

Lmao!!
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 1:11 PM on May. 12, 2014