Do you think this is right?

I just was reading about how the child actors in Slumdog Millionaire only got paid like $700 and $1200 and still live in poverty. I understand that it is much more than the annual adult salary where they live, but still I think it was cheap of the execs of Slumdog to try to get by with such a payment. We pay our child actors MUCH more than this, what harm comes from paying these kids more?

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/01/28/slumdog-millionaire-child-actors/

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 11:24 AM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, they paid for schooling but they used them in a movie which made big bucks and they could have paid a lot more.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• OOps my mistake, it was $2400 not $1200 big difference right...
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:25 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• But they also did paid for their schooling. It is a big thing for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I agree. If it was some small movie that didn't generate much income, I could see that paying them that much and paying for their schooling would be enough. But this is a big time money making movie. It seems to me like they were sort of used because they could get off paying them a lot less money.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:32 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Totally agree with ya April.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• it called GREED
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• $2400 is a slap in the face.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• How sad that it. I think that actors/actresses are way over paid in general...but this is just a real slap in the face to those struggling families. Someone should have helped those poor families get a more fair salary.
    How disrespectful.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• They agreed to the payment before anyone realized the attraction and success... It's more than $2400

"In addition to their educational requirements, a fund is in place to meet their basic living costs, health care and any other emergencies. Furthermore, as an incentive for them to continue to attend school a substantial lump sum will be released to each child when they complete their studies. Taking into account all of the children’s circumstances we believe that this is the right course of action"

I bet there are families in Mumbai who would love to give their children this priceless opportunity. This allows the children to succeed and thrive without parents getting a hold of the money and using it in a way that would not benfit the children. 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• grlygrlz2: totally agree with you.. most children here, get the money, blow it,and are left with nothing to show for it.. most turn to drugs etc. later in life, and aren't very successful. However these children have a chance at a better education, money to live off of, and incentives for them to succeed beyond just having a role in a movie. I think this is a lot better than they do here for children actors/actresses.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:08 PM on Feb. 21, 2009