How old was your baby when you switched to a level 2 (medium flow) nipple?

My baby's only 6 weeks old but seems ready for a level 2 nipple, is this about the average age? TIA!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I switched when they became more gassy, took longer to eat and were fussy while eating.

My youngest had a weak suck (pre-term baby) and he was on a fast flow at 2 weeks.

The package gives guidelines....the manufacturer guidelines...they aren't the guidelines for every baby.

When you do switch, for the first few times, hold her more upright for the first few times...she's going to be sucking harder because of the slower nipple and will have quite a little surprise! lol

Also...have you considered the variable flow? It goes more with the baby's control...the strength of it's suck.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:36 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I switched by the recommended age on the package.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My daughter is eight weeks old (she'll be officially two months on the 26th) and I've given her a medium flow nipple twice now. She takes it like a champ. You just kinda have to try it and see what works. If not, put it away and keep it till later. I tried a fast nipple once with her, and she's nowhere NEAR ready for it. So it's just sitting there waiting for a later time lol.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:31 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• A month and a week old.
    ixadorexpink

Answer by ixadorexpink at 11:44 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I switched a lot earlier than what the package suggested. To me, those are more like "The AVERAGE 3-6 month old baby uses Level 2's" ... well, I have a baby that LOVES to eat and is above average with height and weight. I don't remember how old he was when we switched, but it was probably around 2 months.

Try it out and see. If baby starts gagging, then go back to Level 1. If baby doesn't, then looks like your instinct was correct :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 1:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• We went from a slow flow to a fast flow--didn't have a medium flow in that brand--at 2 months and watched her closely while she ate. We pulled the bottle out frequently so that she could take a breath w/o choking. If the baby is ready then watch them closely while using it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I never did...stayed with slow flow.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2009