Mirena IUD

What do you guys think about it? Any side effects?

Kaitlyn0816

Asked by Kaitlyn0816 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have it and I love it, I did have some spotting for about 6-8 weeks after I got it, nothing heavy, just enough to wear a panty liner. That's the only side effect I've had, my periods are also very light, they last about 2-3 days and it's only enough to wear a panty liner.
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• It hurts like a bitch when you go to get it ! Its so painful. They started placing mine and had to remove it because they found cysts on my ovaries. --My cousin has one-----and her hubsand hates it. The tip of his penis gets suck by it every time --lol Its suppose to soften over a period of time--obviously her didnt.
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 11:59 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Mine didn't hurt at all when it was inserted...my dh has never had a problem with mine
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Same here, I love it and it doesn't bother my DH.
    No problem or side effect. By far the easiest and most effective birth control ever.
    ketha04

Answer by ketha04 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• ah, mine hurt like heck when they inserted it. i thought was gonna throw up and pass out! i normally have a high tolerance for pain, too. it is best to wait at least 8 weeks postpartum, because (even though docs will do it at 6 wks pp) the risk of it falling out is higher if it is done earlier than 8 weeks. it is good to wait 8-12 weeks if you are breastfeeding. earlier than that, there is a risk of it affecting your supply (although, personally, i haven't heard of any one with that issue). dd is almost 8 months, got mirena at 4 mos pp, and still haven't gotten a period (also breastfeeding). i do, however, notice some spotting after sex. other than that, i haven't had any problems. fyi, not all insurance companies cover it. mine didn't, so it cost about $800 for mirena + drs visit.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I'd like to get one, but the insurance doesnt pay for it and its like $700 where i live! And we just dont have the money. It is crazy that they would rather pay for another pregnancy and to insure a child then pay $700 and be done with it for a few years! Sorry i couldnt be much help but i liked to hear the other answers.
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 1:07 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• ive had mine for about a year and half. i love it. I had some cramping for about a week but that was it. i havent had a period since i had it put in.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I havent had a problem with mine at all. My DH has some problems with it poking him but it doesnt stop him and he says it is getting better the longer I have it . But other then that I love it.
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 7:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My only complaint is that I've been spotting since I got it, and it's been a few months. Other than that, it's been great. I don't feel it, and it's been effective thus far!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:49 AM on Feb. 23, 2009