What do you do when your child misbehaves at school?

So, it's not such a big deal, but I was wondering what other mom's do when their child brings home a negative report for the day at school. My son is 6 and my daughters are both 5. They get a "sad face" or a "card pulled" maybe twice a week. I want to know what you would suggest I do to let them know that this is not acceptable. We talk and talk and talk until we are blue. We have taken away toys...etc. The behavior is not severe nor is it any reason to be taken to the principles office, its just normal attention issues. So I dont want to go overboard w/punishments, but what might other moms suggest so I could be more positive with the outcome.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would go to the school and volunteer, you need to see what is happening. I always volunteered it helped the kids a lot. Sorry for you teachers out there, but I do not trust the teachers, you need to keep an eye on them to.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

•  It sounds like they are just being kids... my 8 yr old will tell me if something was wrong, we don't get notes sent home unless it's severe
     We talk and I explain to him what his actions do... like a dominio effect...
    for example, he talks alot... loves to chatter... and I explained to him that even thou he can comprehend and understand what the lessons are even if he is chattering, others may not and his talking can be causing them (his friends) to miss the lesson and get something wrong...
     Depending on what the "wrong" was in school, just explain the effects it can have on others like their friends and see if that helps....

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• use a reward system at home. try positive reinforcement. volunteer at school if you can, see what goes on
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• What are they doing? My son had his card flipped all the time until this year. For the most part it was for talking and getting out of his seat. We had magnets on our fridge. When he had a yellow day he had to pull a magnet down after 3 he lost his allowance for that week. It worked for him. He was able to keep track of his days by just looking at the magnets. This year he earns an extra dollar in his allowance and for the most part that has worked better. He also earns an extra dollar for perfect spelling tests because that is not his strong point. I don't know which works better because he is in a tough class this year and therefore the teacher regards his talking as a better behavior then what the others are doing. I really think it depends on the teacher in some cases.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• mine is 5, if he gets a :( for the day, then NO tv that night. it works for him.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• If it's just normal attention issues --- given their age --- I wouldn't do anything, honestly.

Kids are supposed to have short attention spans & be fidgetty. Grade school used to accomodate for that -- having lots of "play time learning" activities. Now it's all structured and formal with schools trying to keep up with the "no child left behind" nightmare.

Let 'em be kids. Having sad face reports just means they're not little zombies.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2009