I moved here fron Tn to Ca and my special needs child is just having a horrible time.My last IEP was the most ridiculous circus parade I have ever seen what should I do?

My son is ADHD he has dysgrafia which means he can't write legibly he use to be an B and C student and now he is failing. His teachers send him home for being ill when he isn't and we get in trouble for attendance. His teachers don't understand his disability and refuse to moderate his class work. On top of all this he is dealing with a chronic illness in the family (me his mom has cancer) How can I help him?

dawnms

Asked by dawnms at 12:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You poor woman. God bless you! I would call the school superintendent. Maybe he could help. As a disability he has rights. They have you modify things so he could get the best education. Good luck

Anonymous

• I didn't mean "as a disability" I meant with a disability.
    Anonymous

• go get him re assessed right away. i'm sure the process will be long, so start asap. have parent teacher conferences. even talk with the specials. take people's opinions into consideration, because they may be seeing stuff you don't.

bottom line, he needs a new IEP.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• One word ADVOCATE.....

We never could afford one, and couldn't find a free one. We ended up pulling my son to homeschool. Anyway in your case, I see it as your next step.

I also live in CA and felt jerked around also.
    Anonymous

• Dawn, I agree with Charisma10, in that he needs a new IEP; and I'll go a step further here, he needs an advocate (besides yourself) and a mediater, such as the principal of your middle school, or better yet, the superintendent!

Look, he has every right to stay in school and receive a fair education ;like everyone else! You've got to be kidding that the school sends him home without a valid reason. This alone would have me marching to the front office and demanding an "on the spot" meeting, with the teacher/teachers who have been sending him home.

As for his handwriting, have your tax dollars work for you-have the school issue out a lap-top so your son's writing is legible. You don't ask, you demand, for you and your son have every right to do this and more! One last bit of advice, find out who is in charge of the special eduacation department, tell them what's been going on and get someone on your side.
    Good Luck!
    sharebearmomof2

Answer by sharebearmomof2 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Talk to the special needs teacher to get him proper testing. Also see if he qualifies for a federal 504 plan. a child with disabilities does get the education they need and. with a 504 plan the school can be held liable for civil rights violation if they send him home or take him out of a class.  My son is diabetic and has special needs throughout the school day. In order for him to stay in school they have to allow for him to take care of his medical needs . He also gets the ability to retest when he has a medical situation during a test - this happens frequently with diabetics. Many teachers dont understand his disease and have fought it but with the federal laws they eventually have to comply with the plan. this is a civil rights violation.

WinnieM

Answer by WinnieM at 11:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2009