Baby choking?

My daughter is 5 weeks old and she chokes when she's eating a bottle, like struggles for a breath and chockes... she did it yesterday while sleeping... anyone else had this happen?

CocoB22

Asked by CocoB22 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure the nipple hole isn't too big for her. She should be using a slow nipple. She could be getting too much formula at a time. As for the choking at night, my son does that too sometimes. It's because he had too much saliva in his mouth. Once he realized that he had to swallow it, he was fine.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Yes my son still does it. I always watch him when it happens but he's been fine. Just make sure she's still breathing!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• talk to your doctor. it could be a sign of GERD, which they can test for. But, in the mean time, make sure you are using the slowest nipple possible, and feed in a more upright position. Find a SAFE way to slightly elevate the top end of her bassinet, or if she's not in a bassinet, you can elevate the top end of her crib mattress or buy these special leg attachments for the crib to do the same thing. Your doctor can maybe give you some additional advice.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:22 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My son did that, and still does at times. He has Acid Reflux and the dr told me to put cereal in his bottle to see if that would help. Make sure you talk to your dr. first though. I always put a pillow under my sons crib mattress to elevate half of it. The doctor said it was perfectly fine to do so, just make sure that the mattress is on it's lowest setting possible.
    lilmama5268

Answer by lilmama5268 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My son is Breast fed and does that because he is trying to gulp too much at once. I have to encourage him to take breaks or he sucks a big mouth full, chokes on it and coughs it back all over me.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2009