Knitting question

I have a knitting machine to make sweaters and afghans. I love it, but when I finish a baby afghan, it curls horribly because of the method of knitting. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it lay flat without having to go back and knit or crochet a border? I have read to "kill" it with a hot steam iron, but worry about damaging the yarn. Thanks.

threeisenuff

Asked by threeisenuff at 12:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• block it.

get a big piece of foam from the craft store (big enough that the blanket will fit on)

wet the blanket,

lay it on the foam and use LOTS of pins the hold the blanket, pin the blanket out to the right size and shape.

unfortunately, because of the knitting, this will have to be done after each wash.

the best method even though time consuming is the crocheted border.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 9:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I am not knowledgeable about knitting machines, but I do know when hand knitting it is good to do the the opposite stitch a time or two at the end of each row. It makes a little border on its own and usually keeps from rolling. Otherwise I would also ck. on the weight of the thread for the project. It might not be sturdy enough. Just some ideas form an old knitter. Hope they help Happy creating!
    craftymeme

Answer by craftymeme at 9:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• You can try taking it back to the machine and adding a border all around. There are some trims you can try on this site: http://www.yarns-and.com/piecrust.htm

mknitter

Answer by mknitter at 10:48 AM on Feb. 23, 2009