Breastfeeding (6mo)

My soon to be 6mo DD has FINALLY decided to start sleeping through the night! YAY! Last night was the first night she slept from 8p-4a then woke up for a feeding and slept again until 8a. I woke up a few times because my boobs were rock hard and it was not so comfy-- my question is- should I pump during the night if she's sleeping? And if I don't will that decrease my supply?

LishaBee

Asked by LishaBee at 1:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, your body will adjust to her new schedule, just give it a couple days :) If you pump over night, you will always have to pump over night because your body thinks your baby needs to eat then, when she doesn't.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• You don't have to pump, unless you need the extra milk. (I used to pump at night because I never pumped much and at night was the only time I'd get a decent amount). If you don't need the milk, just leave it alone, slowly you'll stop getting engorged at night.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Only pump if you need to store it. Your body will adjust to what she needs within a week or so. Congrats on a good nights sleep, but keep in mind that they don't always continue to sleep through the night.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• In my opinion: YES! Do pump every 4-5 hours even at night. Not everyone's body will adjust to the schedule change and you have worked so hard to get this far I would hate to see your supply drop. Or you could see how it goes for a week or so if you feel like you are dropping in supply then start the night time pumping.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Your body will adjust. You're likely to see a small drop in your milk supply overall at this age because, if you haven't already, you will be starting solids soon. (If your period hasn't come back yet...it might soon. Mine came back the week after I started solids...because of the drop in milk production).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2009