How can we try to make ends meet these days? Any advice?

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Money & Work

• That's a tough question but I ask myself that too! The best tool for that is a budget. I like to know what I can spend so I don't overspend. I have accepted a simple lifestyle and I focus on low cost interests, hobbies and fun. I love to shop and do it in dollar and thrift stores. I started a vegetable, herb and fruit garden, I walk instead of going to the gym, I decorate on a shoe string and swap, garage sale, take hand me downs. I am happy with my life. I could be happy spending and living a lavish lifestyle too but those nasty ends wouldn't meet! Check out some money conscious groups here. Love them!

Answer by manna1qd at 9:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• All I do is figure out how much I need every month for the bills, then when I have $20. or $40. after figuring that out, I write it in the back of the checkbook. In other words, I will deduct the amount from my husbands paycheck deposit and write what I deducted in the back of the checkbook and let the amount add up over the year. If you need help to understand this process more just let me know, I will explain it more thoroughly for you. Once you develop experience in doing this, it will become natually for you to do. And pretty soon you will know when you are able to put extra away. It's called embezzling from your own checkbook. You just have to remember to add it to your total when you balance your checkbook. Just think, $20. a week adds up to $1,040.00 a year.

Answer by greatmomandwife at 9:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• shop at discount store. like aldis for food. shop the farmers market. plant a garden. shop second hand stores for clothing. make your own laundry detergent ( i didn''t think that would add up but it does) hang up the laundry to dry. combine shopping trips so you don't drive everyday.

Answer by Lyndall at 10:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I think it is about finding something you can do in your own time that does not take gas! LOL! Working from home is great place to start! If you make fitness a priority or want to I have an amazing work from home job. It is not a get rich quick or pyramid scheme. It is life changing--helping others achieve goals while you achieve your own! and to check it out. Please feel free to write me if you are at all interested in being on my team or just have questions! Good luck girlie!

Answer by DreamnBigEliza at 8:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2008