In response of the left thumb question

In my opinion, every part of our body has a reason. Would you really consider selling your left thumb for only $200,000 if the absence of the ability the thumb can provide you could be worth millions over your life time?

In my case, I put as much value into my left thumb (as a right handed person) as I would in reciprocal to the rest of my body. I am a fairly quick typist as a result of my experience in my former business, present job, and leisure time at home. I would never put a price on my left thumb, and I hope my daughter doesn't either.

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 1:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't get that you need a left thumb as a typist. I never use my left thumb while typing (I do use all of the other 9 fingers, and I'm pretty fast). What do you use your left thumb for? The only thing I use either thumb for is the space bar, and for that I use the right thumb.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:04 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Thanks for sharing your opinion.

I understand where you are coming from but frankly, if I could ease my family's financial burdens NOW then I would do so. Being worth millions in my lifetime doesnt really gain much in the right now when money is tight and bills need paying and food is needed on my kids table, etc.
    Anonymous

• It is just a thumb. People learn to live without arms and legs, I don't think it would be that hard to learn to live without a thumb. However now that I think about it I would probably want $200,000 for my thumb and also payment of the medical expenses that go along with getting the thumb severed, and the physical therapy that goes along after to help me get used to it not being there.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 2:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• well, think of it this way: for some people that 200,000 will get themout of debt, give them a solid life and do so much more. $200,000 could pay off the debt for both my family and my dh's family. it could buy us a farm or a welding truck with all the equipment. Either one of those could support our family. We could afford to have more kids ( foster ). I don't know about you but for us $200,00 is A LOT of money.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Wow, I really missed something here... Why are we selling our thumbs?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• God gave me my digits and I intend on keeping them. Why would someone want your left thumb anyway? There are many many things that your left thumb can do besides being thought about in typing a letter. You can't grasp anything like you can with a thumb. I didn't realize what my right thumb could do until I lost use of it. You can't open jars and bottles or close them for that matter. Maybe God gave us two thumbs in case we lost one. LOL Yes, 200,000. is a lot of money. Why is this question being asked? Has someone offered you this money for your left thrumb? There is a saying that is very true. "You don't know what you're missing, until you don't have it anymore!"
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 2:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Actually Edna, I think you would need occupational therapy rather than physical therapy, but that's a great point. Make who ever wants your thumb so badly pay for the expenses. I personally like having all of my fingers intact. Also, I would be deeply suspicous of the motives behind a person's desire for my thumb. Two hundred grand is a lot of money...why do you want my left thumb so badly? Do they want everyone's left thumb? Is someone starting a left thumb collection? Does it have to be the left? WIll you know if it is the right and refuse payment? There are just too many questions...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 3:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Anyone looking for a big toe? lol . . I don't think I could part with my thumb, but maybe. I don't use my left thumb either while I type. It does just kind hang in the way when I'm typing, but it would be hard to pull my pants up without it!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• OMG. There is no way I could live without my left thumb. I use all the shortcuts on my keyboard. I would be totally lost and it would take me twice as long to get my work done.
    Plus I pick my nose sometimes, and hold my purse, and carry six Wal-Mart bags at a time with my left hand so I can help the kids out of the car and shut the back door on the car, plus I eat my snacks at work with my left hand so I can work and eat at the same time. Man, I would be lost without that thumb. And who the heck is out there buying thumbs anyway? Did I miss a big news day?
    mommyonetheedge

Answer by mommyonetheedge at 3:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2009