How much would you charge and would you do this?

I'm a SAHM and my hubby is military. Our friend is also military, and he is deploying soon. He goes to like a 6 week training somewhere in another state just before he leaves (he will actually leave from there). He asked me last night if I would babysit their 2 year old for a weekend so that his wife could fly out for that weekend and spend the weekend with him before he leaves (He will be gone 6 months). He said he would pay me, how much did I want. I have done child care before and I would normally have charged $2.50 an hour, but this is going to be like a Friday afternoon-Monday afternoon probably, so I am not sure how much to charge. I don't have much trouble with doing it, she's a good kid, but I do have 3 kids of my own and soccer games etc on weekends. We usually do something as a family on weekends too which would cost me extra for her but not a whole lot, and she is a fun kid. What would you charge? Would you do it?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 1:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Honestly, I would just tell him to pay me what he thought was fair. It's the military and it's a rough life. I think it's awesome that you would be willing to do that for another family. Just think of it if the tables were turned and someone was willing to do something so nice for you, I'm sure you would pay them fairly.

:)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 1:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• If he is a friend- I would do them a FAVOR. ;o)
    If anything just ask for her meals to be paid for- so about 30 dollars?
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I dont think I would charge him.

If anything Id charge a specific fee that would cover food costs for the extra mouth Im feeding those couple of days. But Id probably only ask for like $40, if that.

I dont know, I dont think I could really charge them as its an opportunity that they need before he's gone for quite a while...kwim?
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 1:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Go according to his rank. ;-)
    Anonymous

• IMO, since he is going on deployment soon( I assume you mean Iraq, Afganistan) I would personally do it for free. I would ask him to contribute food on the little girls part and some spending money if you go anywhere. Thats all I would ask for and then I would tell him to have a safe journey.Thats just me.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Yeah the only thing is that if I don't charge them as I do provide babysitting services for all of our friends occasionally, then everyone will want me to do it for free for them too and I can't put myself or my family through that. i was in a situation for a while where I would watch someone's kid and someone else would come over and be like why are you watching them for free when you just charged me $2.50 an hour lol. So maybe I will just say hey give me like $40 because we usually go to a movie and out to eat on the weekends, plus the girl eats like crazy lol. I won't ask them to bring over special foods for her because my daughter would wonder why she couldn't have the same thing, so I will just buy a little extra for the weekend to feed her. But yeah I think $4O would cover everything including going out to eat and whatever we decide to do in place of the movies (since I don't think a 2 year old will sit through one lol!)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Yep, I would just say , return the favor sometime on a Fri or sat eve so you and hubby can have a nice dinner out alone.... They only have one, so adding 3 is a bit more to ask them.... JMO
    Anonymous

• I don't mind them babysitting one night, but he won't be back til after we are gone from here and I wont put his wife (she just turned 20) through watching 3 kids along with hers after she gets off work lol. I already have someone I trade out babysitting with for instances like that, someone who has a little more experience and kids that are my kids ages. Do you all think $40 is too much? It will be for 9 to 12 meals, at least 9 snacks, and whatever we do on the weekend. I'm really not sure. He is 2 ranks below my hubby, and I know they have money, I'm just not sure if that is too much to ask.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Its not too much, 40.00 is fair
    Anonymous

• I would do it for free..and the others don't have to know you did it now do they? I think this is an exception to the rule. He is going and God forbid may not be back. He is serving our country and I think it would be a great way of giving a bit back to all the soldiers out there!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2009