Can i drink sugar free red bull and breastfeed?

Can i drink sugar free red bull and breastfeed? Just wondering bc I'm sooooo tired... What can I take for some energy?

lisacieslak

Asked by lisacieslak at 2:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://askville.amazon.com/Red-Bull-recommended-pregnant-breastfeeding-women/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2106411

"But another culprit is an amino acid called Taurine which is present in Red Bull. For reasons unspecified by the FDA, Taurine is not recommended to be consumed by pregnant or nursing women. Same with GLUCURONOLACTONE...another main ingredient in Red Bull. Both are unstudied in their affects on the fetus or baby. "

Answer by Bmat at 2:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I would try some vitamin B supplements before resorting to any caffeine. A red bull as way more than a cup of coffee. Try that first.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Only if you think an infant can deal w/ the friggin' hype you feel when you drink it.
    When it acts that way, don't swat it. They won't even know why they're acting that way!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I don't see why not, as long as you don't notice any negative effects on the baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Your baby won't get the same caffiene content that you will. so its not like the baby is chugging too. Yes 1 Red Bull is fine. I wouldnt drink a 6 pack or anything. :) I think they recommend no more than 2 cups of coffee so definitely not more than 1 Red Bull.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/youafterthebirth/nutrition/caffeineandbreastfeeding/

"Caffeine does enter your bloodstream, and some portion of what you eat or drink appears in your breast milk. If you consume more than 400 mg of caffeine a day (about what you'd get in four mugs of coffee), it might affect your baby. That's why it's probably best to restrict your intake while breastfeeding.

Though one or two cups of coffee, tea, or cola isn't likely to affect either of you, more might make one or both of you irritable, jittery, agitated, and sleepless. If you want to have a cup or two of coffee or tea a day while breastfeeding, make a conscious effort to drink at least eight glasses of water every day as well (good advice whether or not you're taking in caffeine). "

Answer by Bmat at 2:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I also saw this " In Canada, cans of Red Bull carry the warning: 'Not recommended for children, pregnant or breast-feeding women"

Answer by Bmat at 2:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't take caffeine if I were still breastfeeding. But then I don't like the idea for me of taking a drug to get more energy, anyway. Talk with your doctor about why your are excessively tired. Could you get more sleep, for example? Are you sure that you aren't anemic or that you don't have a virus of some kind? You may want to get checked. I remember being exhausted when my second baby came. It was depressing and made it really hard to function. I cut back on household chores and just made very simple meals, and that helped.

Answer by Bmat at 2:51 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't. Sugar free means it is packed with artificial sweeteners which have yet to be studied thoroughly as to their affect on babies through breast milk. No research on something is a good enough reason for me not to do it. (Even redbull with sugar in it is packed with artificial sweeteners, I can't imagine what sugar-free is like). My son is BFed and goes bonkers with even a little caffeine when I have it on accident. I personally choose not to expose my child to addictive substances (yes, caffeine is addictive). If he wants to choose to intake caffeine when he is older, that is his choice.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• ?
    Anonymous