• In the Spotlight:

Should I bring her to the E.R???

My dd fell down and smashed her lip off the edge of her toddler bed. She has split her lip open from front to back. It has stopped bleeding, but everytime she starts talking or uses her mouth it will start bleeding a little bit. I am waiting for my husband to get here. He is about 2 hours away, and I want to bring her in to make sure she doesn't need stiches. But he thinks that she will be just fine, and that it can heal on its own. What is your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• my ds has split his lip open so many times, he is so clumsy. He even bit it open the other day and had a fat lip for two days, and it would bleed every time he used his mouth. I don't know if they are going to give her stitches in her lip since they can get infected so easily, but then again I am not a dr. Lips tend to heal really fast, I am sure she should be fine, but if it's that much of a concern to you, call her doctor. They will be able to let you know, and save you time and money in the ER
    lilmama5268

Answer by lilmama5268 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I would take her in if she was my child. do you have an urgent care? mine has weekend hours. that would save you the ER fees
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I just called her on call ped's doctor and he said that it sounds like she does need stiches from my description I gave him. So I am waiting for my husband to get home which will be about an hour from now. Then I am going into get her looked at. She has done this befor but this time it is way different. Everytime she opens her mouth up her lip opens wider and wider, so I have a feeling that we will be getting stiches! Thank you soo much for your answers and time!
    Anonymous

• I was going to suggest calling her pediatrician sometimes they can really help you make a decision by your description. I call my daughters Dr when I am not sure. I hope she doesn't need stiches.
    Lisa9766

Answer by Lisa9766 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• but why are you waiting for your husband? cant you take her?
    dustinsmom0113

Answer by dustinsmom0113 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• my son split his lip in two. The school nurse said he'd be fine after it stopped bleeding. The ER put 8 stitches in. I'd take her.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I would take her for sure. My neighbors kid split the lip of his brother open like that with a snow shovel and he got stitches.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2009