Her teeth are really bad, will they take her away?

Our neice is 3 and her teeth are super yellow, almost brown. It looks as if they (SIL and her hubby) have never brushed her teeth. I can't see any cavities. I know they have dental insurance so what do I do? I've brought it up to the parents and they basically say to mind my own business. Would it be crossing the line to take her to the dentist, would the dentist call CPS on the parents? Other than her teeth she is well fed and properly taken care of. I just don't get it. I brush her teeth when she comes over and her gums bleed and she freaks out which is understandable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• your parents are right. Also you have no right to brush her teeth.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• no, you have no legal right to take someone else's child to the dentist without their permission. You have to sign papers at any doctor/dentist that say "Parent or Legal Guardian" which you are neither.

this is not your place to get involved.

brush her teeth when she stays with you if you want, but that's all you can do.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you have the right to take her to the dentist, but I would offer to make the appt and then take her if they will let you. Her parents probably have a hard time brushing her teeth as you do and it may make the child uncomfortable. CPS won't take her away b/c her teeth are gross their has to be other reasons involved. I wish you luck. I know this is hard for you to watch.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Yeah I thought taking her to the dentsit was too much as well, it just sucks because other than her teeth she's totally fine.
    Anonymous

• you cant take her to the dentist unless you are a parent or legal guardian. no, CPS cant take her away for nasty teeth, there have to be other reasons.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• well, that can be neglect? Maybe just making the call will scare them enough to take care of it? Sorry, teeth are a biiiig deal! She may want them one day!
    qtnik

Answer by qtnik at 5:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• some people just have yellow teeth. i'd be beyond pissed if you took my kid to the dr without me even knowing about it. its like cutting someone else's kids hair. don't do it.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 7:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• You have no right to take her to a dentist. Around here you couldn't do it unless you lied and said you were a parent or guardian anyway. Not only dishonest, but illegal and you could be charged legally. (at least here)

You should also be careful brushing her teeth making her gums bleed. If the parents find out about that, you could be in trouble or at the least they could become angry with you.

They told you to mind your own business. You've voiced your concern. How would you feel if someone interfered with your parenting?

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:47 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I consider that neglect. You know not taking care of your teeth and gums can effect the heart? I don't understand why parents can't properly take care of their children. It's not that hard to brush their teeth. Sorry I would call.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I know its hard to deal with something like this.Especially when people tell you to mind your own business. It is not good for that poor child to already have bleeding gums. It can harm her health. If they are being neglectful and irresponsible,someone has to think of the child-obviously they aren't. I don't think I would call a child protective service-I would try to convince the parents with articles about dental health-try online and print them for the parents to read. GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Feb. 22, 2009